Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is electric charge measured?

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    How do we measure the amout of charge body has. Can you tell me some instruments and how do they work.
    Well i know how ampere is defined so one coloumb will be the current that flows in one second - but how can wemeasure that?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    Its good to test if charge is present as the leaves will repel but how do you measure the amount of charge?
    Perhaps i dont understand -

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

More charge => more force between the leaves => larger distance between them

The basic idea is that you convert the measurement of the charge to a measurement of some other property - like the distance between the leaves, or a current somewhere, or an acceleration of particles or whatever.

6. Apr 30, 2012 #5
    one technique is to transfer the charge to a known capacitor then measure the voltage across the known capacitor. Then use Q = C x V to find Q.
    An instrument designed to do this is called an electrometer.
    If you want to measure the charge on a capacitor then a vibrating switch can be used to alternately charge the capacitor from a battery then discharge it through a milliammeter. If the frequency of switching is known then the chatge transferred at each switching can be calculated from the current read by the milliammeter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook