How Is Heat Transport in a Rod Influenced by Its Radius and Material Properties?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Physgeek64
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Heat equation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Physgeek64
Messages
245
Reaction score
11

Homework Statement


show ## \rho c_m \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x^2} -\frac{2}{a}R(T)##
where ##R(T)=A(T-T_0) ##

a) Obtain an expression for T as a function of x for the case of an infinitely long rod whose hot end has temperature ##T_m##
b) Show that the heat that can be transported away by a long rod of radius a is proportional to ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##, provided A is independent of a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


so for part a) I got
##T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a}}x}##

Then for b) I thought that the rate of heat transfer will be ##2 \pi a R(T)## but this gives something that is proportional to a not ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##

Many thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
a) is not right. Is your exponential term dimensionally correct?
b) 2πaR(T) is the rate per unit length. What do you get when you integrate it over x?
 
Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement


show ## \rho c_m \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x^2} -\frac{2}{a}R(T)##
where ##R(T)=A(T-T_0) ##

a) Obtain an expression for T as a function of x for the case of an infinitely long rod whose hot end has temperature ##T_m##
b) Show that the heat that can be transported away by a long rod of radius a is proportional to ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##, provided A is independent of a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


so for part a) I got
##T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a}}x}##

Then for b) I thought that the rate of heat transfer will be ##2 \pi a R(T)## but this gives something that is proportional to a not ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##

Many thanks in advance
What is the temperature gradient at x = 0? If you multiply this by the cross sectional area and thermal conductivity, what do you get for the rate of heat flow into the rod?
 
mjc123 said:
a) is not right. Is your exponential term dimensionally correct?
b) 2πaR(T) is the rate per unit length. What do you get when you integrate it over x?
Sorry, i just typed this wrong my answer is $$T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a\kappa}x}}$$

integrating over x i get the rate of heat loss is $$2\pi \sqrt{\frac{\kappa}{2A}}a^{\frac{3}{2}} (T_m - T_0)(e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a\kappa}l}}-1)$$ Does this seem right

The question then asks for what l is this approximation valid. Any ideas?

Many thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you decided not to follow the approach I suggested in post #3. So, I guess I'll answer my own questions.

The corrected equation for the temperature is: $$T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}x}$$
The temperature gradient at location x is $$\frac{dT}{dx}=-(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}x}$$
So the temperature gradient at x = 0 is: $$\frac{dT}{dx}=-(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}$$
So the heat flux at x = 0 is: $$q(0)=-\kappa\left(\frac{dT}{dx}\right)_{x=0}=(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A\kappa}{ a}}$$
So the rate of heat loss is: $$Q=\pi a^2q(0)=\pi a^2(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A\kappa}{ a}}$$This is proportional to ##a^{3/2}##

Your answer in post #4 is not consistent with this.