How is internal resistance of a cell related to temperature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 15K views
Mr Virtual
Messages
218
Reaction score
4
Relevant equations

int rest =emf - terminal potential / current
or
r=E-V/I

The attempt at a solution

Since Emf of a cell is inversely proportional to temp (From Nernst Equation of Emf of a cell), from the above equation, if temp is high, E is low, therefore r is low. So, acc. to me,
r decreases with increase in temp. But obviously, if E is decreasing, this must mean that r has increased. I am confused. Please help.

Edit: If we think in terms of solutions, then dissociation increases on heating, which means more ions available in cell, which means increase in conductance, which leads to the conclusion that resistance of the cell decreases with increase in temp.

Mr V
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found out on the net that internal resistance decreases with increase in temperature.
 
Mr Virtual said:
Relevant equations

int rest =emf - terminal potential / current
or
r=E-V/I

it's r = (E-V)/I

and I and V do not remain constant if you change the temperature. I don;t think you can
use this formula to see what happens to R unless you measure I and V.