How Is Photon Energy Calculated When an Electron Moves to a Lower Energy State?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
mateomy
Messages
305
Reaction score
0
An electron is trapped in an infinite one-dimensional well of width 0.251nm. Initially the electron occupies the n=4 state. Suppose the electron jumps to the ground state with the accompanying emission of a photon. What is the energy of the photon?

(Time independent)

What I did was realize that [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] must equal zero at the walls, so I chose [itex]\sin(kL)[/itex] and set it to [itex]n\pi[/itex], then solved for k.

Putting this value of k into the energy for a free particle (Time-ind Schrödinger), I eventually come to the expression:
[tex] \frac{h^2 n^2}{8mL^2}[/tex]

To find the corresponding energy of the emitted photon I plugged in the appropriate values of n and solved for the difference.

Does that seem right?

Answer:
[tex] E=\frac{h^2 15}{8m L^2}[/tex]

Obviously plugging in appropriate values of m and L afterward.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the corresponding energy of the emitted photon I plugged in the appropriate values of n and solved for the difference.

Does that seem right?
That is certainly the method.
If this is long answer you want to write it explicitly in the math though.
 
Yeah, I have it officially written out showing steps and whatnot. Just felt lazy with the LaTex so I shortened it. Thanks.