1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is potential energy is derived from work here?

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    Since capacitors can store electrical energy in the form of a electrostatic field between its plates, one can derive that potential energy by looking at the work it takes to "push" the charges around to create the voltage.

Therefore Work =
    integral from 0 to Q of V(q) dq =
    integral from 0 to Q of (1/C)q dq =
    Q^2/2C =
    1/2 CV^2=
    1/2 VQ which consequently equals the potential energy stored in the capacitor

so my question overall is::
    Why it is not negative 1/2 VQ for PE since PE is the negative of work?
    Everywhere I look there is never a -PE=W but they immediately equate the two being PE=W. I think I am missing something very simple here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

The whole thing in this case, is the reference point you take. This can either be you (or whatever produces work for that matter) and system ( the capacitor in this case). You must be consistent with what you choose and use in order to derive the appropriate signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook