How Is Rotational Kinetic Energy Calculated for a Cylinder Rolling Down a Ramp?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
map7s
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
A 2.4 kg cylinder (radius = 0.09 m, length = 0.50 m) is released from rest at the top of a ramp and allowed to roll without slipping. The ramp is 0.74 m high and 5.0 m long. What is its rotational kinetic energy?

I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track...

I=2/5 mr^2
KE=1/2 mv^2 + 1/5 mv^2

Using conservation of energy: mgh=1/2 mv^2 + 1/5 mv^2 and then solve for v and plug into equation for KE.

Does this sound like I'm doing this correctly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
map7s said:
I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track...

I=2/5 mr^2
KE=1/2 mv^2 + 1/5 mv^2
You are on the right track, but you are using the wrong formula for rotational inertia. (2/5 mr^2 is for a rolling ball, not a cylinder.)