How is sound waves with timbre, etc. represented electronically?

In summary: This complex wave is then transmitted electronically through voltage signals that also represent the sum of these multiple sine waves. This allows for the recording and transmission of complicated sound signals with timbre, rather than just single sine waves. This understanding can be further enhanced by researching Fourier analysis of periodic signals, which explains how complex waveforms can be broken down into multiple harmonics of a fundamental frequency. The relative levels of these harmonics contribute to the timbre of each instrument.
The_Lobster
Sorry if this is a no-brainer, but I just can't seem to find much info about this.. All sources only talk about a single wave, most often a sinusoidal wave, and never mentions how the situation is like when there is a complicated sound signal with lots of stuff going on (different timbres for example.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding timbre is a product of many sound waves together (if it was an instrument, a fundamental of the instrument and related overtones, etc.). So we have many sound waves at the same time, together creating a sense of timbre. What I don't get is how this is recorded by a microphone with a diaphragm that only senses *one* instantaneous frequency and amplitude, and then transmitted electronically via voltage signals that also only has *one* value for frequency and one for amplitude at a given time, how does this actually carry complicated sound signals with timbre, and not only single sine waves?

This relates to the whole chain I guess, from mic to speaker.. I have a fundamental hole in my understanding of sound waves and I'm having a hard time finding info besides the usual sine wave intro...

Would love some explanation regarding this!:-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the first link I got googling "sound timbre", which may help:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/timbre.html

A mic does not sense "frequency" only instantaneous amplitude. Sound pressure waves take many shapes, from pure tone sines to random noise. At any moment in time the electrical signal from a mic is an (almost) exact analog of the air pressure is "hears". That is in fact why it's called an "analog signal".

Was that the question?

I think you could benefit by googling "Fourier analysis" of periodic signals. Mr.F. discovered that you can analyse and build up complex repeated waveforms by considering a whole family of harmonics of the fundamental frequency (note).
The timbre of each instrument depends upon the relative levels of all these harmonic components. The most 'interesting' sounds mostly have the highest levels of harmonics. The recorder has about the purest note and is, consequently, a bit on the boring side (no offense intended - it's very nice in its place but it's not often used as an orchestral instrument!).

A linguistic correction for sophiecentaur:

"Monsieur Fourier" should be referred to as M. F...:wink:

There's always one, isn't there?

The diaphragm of a microphone records a position at any given instant, not a frequency. Therefore, yes, a microphone can record multiple sine waves added together in a complex wave.

1. What is timbre and how is it represented electronically?

Timbre is the quality of sound that distinguishes one instrument or voice from another. It is determined by the unique combination of harmonics, attack, decay, and sustain of a sound. In electronic representation, timbre is captured through the use of various filters, oscillators, and envelopes to mimic the characteristics of different instruments or voices.

2. How are sound waves represented electronically?

Sound waves are represented electronically through the use of digital audio signals. These signals are created by converting analog sound waves into digital data through sampling and quantization processes. The digital data is then stored and processed by electronic devices such as computers or digital audio workstations.

3. What is the role of filters in representing sound waves electronically?

Filters are electronic circuits that allow certain frequencies of sound to pass through while attenuating others. In representing sound waves electronically, filters are used to shape the timbre of a sound by selectively allowing or blocking certain harmonics. They can also be used to add effects such as equalization or resonance to the sound.

4. How do oscillators contribute to the electronic representation of sound waves?

Oscillators are electronic circuits that generate periodic waveforms, which are then used to create sounds. They are responsible for creating the fundamental frequency and harmonics of a sound wave. By adjusting the frequency and waveform of oscillators, different timbres can be created electronically.

5. What is the purpose of envelopes in representing sound waves electronically?

Envelopes are electronic circuits that control the amplitude (volume) of a sound wave over time. They consist of four stages - attack, decay, sustain, and release - which determine how a sound starts, changes, and ends. Envelopes are used to shape the dynamics of a sound and add expression to electronic representations of sound waves.