How is ## \tan ( \arcsin x) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} ## ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rectifier
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tan
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 3K views
Rectifier
Gold Member
Messages
313
Reaction score
4
Member warned about posting without the template and with no effort shown
How can I write ## \tan ( \arcsin x) ## as ## \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} ##? This is not a problem in itself but a part of a solution to a problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
## \tan ( \arcsin x) = \frac{\sin ( \arcsin x)}{\cos ( \arcsin x)} = \frac{x}{\cos ( \arcsin x)} ##

I draw a triangle with sides x and 1. Therefore the hypotenuse is ## \sqrt{1+x^2}##.

## \cos \left( v \right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} ##

This is where I get stuck. Please help :,(
 
Rectifier said:
## \tan ( \arcsin x) = \frac{\sin ( \arcsin x)}{\cos ( \arcsin x)} = \frac{x}{\cos ( \arcsin x)} ##

I draw a triangle with sides x and 1. Therefore the hypotenuse is ## \sqrt{1+x^2}##.

## \cos \left( v \right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} ##

This is where I get stuck. Please help :,(

You drew the wrong triangle. You need a triangle with an angle whose sine is x. Then which of the sides needs to be x and 1?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rectifier
If ## \theta = \arcsin (\sin x)##

##x## is the opposite side of the angle ## \theta ## and 1 is the hypotenuse?.
 
Rectifier said:
If ## \theta = \arcsin (\sin x)##

##x## is the opposite side of the angle ## \theta ## and 1 is the hypotenuse?.

Does that get you the answer?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rectifier
Mastermind01 said:
Does that get you the answer?
Rectifier said:
If ## \theta = \arcsin (\sin x)##

##x## is the opposite side of the angle ## \theta ## and 1 is the hypotenuse?.
No. What is the sine of the angle whose sine is x?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rectifier
Chestermiller said:
No. What is the sine of the angle whose sine is x?

I think he got it correct this time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rectifier
Hmm...
## \theta = \arcsin (\sin x)##

Then ##\sin \theta = \sin x##

But this looks wrong :o

Sorry, this is hard for me :S
 
Rectifier said:
Hmm...
## \theta = \arcsin (\sin x)##

Then ##\sin \theta = \sin x##

But this looks wrong :eek:

Sorry, this is hard for me :S

Well you drew the triangle correct, so what's ##cos(\theta)## ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rectifier
Wait, so one side of the triangle is equal to the angle?

##\cos x = \sqrt{1-x^2}##
 
Rectifier said:
Wait, so one side of the triangle is equal to the angle?

##\cos x = \sqrt{1-x^2}##

So ##tan(\theta)## is?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rectifier
##\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}## :D
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mastermind01
Rectifier said:
Hmm...
## \theta = \arcsin (\sin x)##

Then ##\sin \theta = \sin x##

But this looks wrong :eek:

Sorry, this is hard for me :S
No. ##sin \theta = x##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mastermind01
In post #8, I asked you "What is the sine of the angle whose sine is x?" You answered sin x. What would your answer have been if I asked "What is the name of the person whose name is John?"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rectifier
Chestermiller said:
In post #8, I asked you "What is the sine of the angle whose sine is x?" You answered sin x. What would your answer have been if I asked "What is the name of the person whose name is John?"

It is x :)