How Is the Limiting Displacement A0 Determined in a Spring System with Friction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
azupol
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A mass m is attached to a spring with spring constant k. There is a coefficient of static friction,
us
The coefficient of kinetic friction is uk
Suppose you pull the mass to the right and release it from rest.
You find there is a limiting value of x = A0 > 0 below which the
mass just sticks and does not move. For x > A0 , it starts sliding
when you release it from rest. Find A0 .

Homework Equations


## x''(t) + \omega x(t) - ( \mu mg)/k =0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution


I solved the ODE for Simple Harmonic Motion, and I get that ##x(t)=B sin ( \omega t) + C ( \omega t) -umg/k##, but I'm not sure where to go from there. The derivative at x = A0 must be zero, but how does that help me find A0 itself?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The place to go is back to Newton's 2nd law. Your DE is wrong, and your thinking about static friction is in error. Please try again.
 
In light of your post, I figured this:
At x=A0, the block is at rest, so the forces acting on it must be balanced. Thus, -kx=umg, and at A0, -kA0=umg, so solving for A0 gives: A0=-umg/k

Am I on the right track now?
 
Wouldn't A0 be positive since the question indicates A0 > 0 ?