Three-mass System with Friction

In summary, a system consisting of blocks A and B, with mass 8.00 kg and 5.00 kg respectively, and a hanging block C suspended by a light string, has a maximum acceleration of 4.6 m/s^2. Using the equation F=ma, it can be determined that the maximum force block A can exercise on block B is 36.79 N, with a maximum force of 14.15 N needed to accelerate block B at 2.83 m/s^2. After correcting a calculation error, it can be determined that the maximum mass of block C that can be suspended without causing blocks A and B to slide is 39 kg.
s.dyseman

Homework Statement

Block B, with mass 5.00 kg, rests on block A, with mass 8.00 kg, which in turn is on a horizontal tabletop. There is no friction between block A and the tabletop, but the coefficient of static friction between block A and block B is 0.750. A light string attached to block A passes over a frictionless, massless pulley, and block C is suspended from the other end of the string.

What is the largest mass that block C can have so that blocks A and B still slide together when the system is released from rest?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure this out for the life of me. I took blocks A and B as a system in themselves to find the acceleration for which the block B would not move.

I set Fapplied-.75(Mb*9.81)=36.79N.

I then took the force applied and set it as F=ma, 36.79=(Ma+Mb)a, a=2.83 m/s^2.

This should be the most acceleration that block A can experience without having block B move. I used both Ma+Mb in the equation as it appears that the hanging block would need to move the two as a system.

I then took the acceleration I had found and set a new force equation, utilizing the entire system:

Fnet=Mc*g, then substitute in F=ma, Msys*a=Mc*g, (Ma+Mb+Mc)a=Mc*g.

I solved for Mc and got a negative number, which obviously cannot be true.

I'd appreciate any help on how I should go about solving this...

Physics news on Phys.org
The 36.79 N is the maximum force block A can exercise on block B. So a is a little bigger. To accelerate block B with 2.83 m/s2, a force of 14.15 N is sufficient.
Better leave the g in there until you have a final expression. It cancels out.

Also want to buy new solving equipment, because (Ma+Mb+Mc) * a=Mc*g solves easily : Mc = (Ma + Mb)*a/(g-a). Positive for all a up to g (Mc can't get higher then)

BvU said:
The 36.79 N is the maximum force block A can exercise on block B. So a is a little bigger. To accelerate block B with 2.83 m/s2, a force of 14.15 N is sufficient.
Better leave the g in there until you have a final expression. It cancels out.

First off, thanks for the assistance.

So there is an error in the maximum acceleration I found? Should I have divided by only the mass of block A rather than the mass of A + B? If so, I get a=4.6m/s^2.

I found an error I made when inputting the equation for Mc in the calculator, thanks for pointing out my mistake. However, after correcting, with the new acceleration of 4.6 m/s^2 I still receive an incorrect answer of 10.31 kg. The correct answer should be 39 kg. Which equation is incorrect?

Eqns are OK. But filling in the mass of A is problematic. A can exercise a maximum force of 0.75 g on B, so B can be accelerated 0.75 g maximum by A. So A + B can be accelerated by 0.75 g maximum, etc.
Remember my tip on leaving g in ? That way you get the exact answer (which, granted, you would also have gotten if you consistently use the same value for g...)

1. What is a three-mass system with friction?

A three-mass system with friction is a physical model that consists of three masses connected by springs and placed on a frictional surface. It is used to study the behavior of systems with multiple masses and the effects of friction on their motion.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a three-mass system?

Friction acts as a resistance force that opposes the motion of the masses in a three-mass system. It can cause the system to slow down, change direction, or come to a stop. Friction also dissipates energy, leading to a decrease in the amplitude of the system's oscillations.

3. What factors influence the behavior of a three-mass system with friction?

The behavior of a three-mass system with friction is influenced by the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the springs, the coefficient of friction between the masses and the surface, and the initial conditions of the system (e.g. starting positions and velocities).

4. How is the motion of a three-mass system with friction described mathematically?

The motion of a three-mass system with friction can be described using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of energy conservation. The equations of motion can be written as a system of coupled second-order differential equations, which can be solved to determine the position and velocity of each mass as a function of time.

5. What are some real-world applications of a three-mass system with friction?

A three-mass system with friction can be used to model various physical systems, such as a car suspension, a pendulum with air resistance, or a mass-spring-damper system. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics education to demonstrate principles of oscillations, energy dissipation, and nonlinear dynamics.