1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is the mechanical energy of a generator transformed into electrical energy?

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    I always thought that an electrode is what transforms the mechanical energy of a generator into electrical energy.

In a children's book about technology that I was reading yesterday, I saw something that has confused me. The book seemed to imply that the movement of a the wires of a coil through a magnetic field created or increased the electricity in the wires. It makes sense to me that the movement of wires through a magnetic field could increase the power of the electricity, but I don't understand how the movement of wires through a magnetic field could create electricity in the first place if there was no electricity in the wires before.

How is the mechanical energy of a generator transformed into electrical energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That book you read has it right. Moving a wire through a magnetic field drives a current.
    The wires are filled with electrons just sitting there waiting to be moved.

4. Aug 2, 2008 #3
    Most people would have just said that and left it at that, and I would still be confused.

Aha! Now I understand. I needed someone to explain it on the atomic level like you did. I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook