How Is the Parabolic Path y=x^2 Related to the Line Integral Calculation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
gl0ck
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



lineintegrals_zpsc07a6d02.jpg

Homework Equations


Trued only 1st question..
Unfortunately I lost my notes about this and cannot find anything relevant to this.
I think,
∫cF.dr = ∫cF.dr/dt dt ..
also dr/dt isn't it = ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk
Also it seems that C is with parabolic shape?
Can someone tell me what is the relationship with y=x^2 and 't'
Also if there is just dot product of F and ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk and boundaries of integral 0 and 1
why he have this y=x^2 from (0,0) to (1,1) ?
I think I miss something general here..

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
##t## is the parameter of the curve, so that the curve can be described by ##x = f(t), y = g(t), z = h(t) ##. In your case, you can simply let ##x = t ##.
 
gl0ck said:

Homework Statement



lineintegrals_zpsc07a6d02.jpg

Homework Equations


Trued only 1st question..
Unfortunately I lost my notes about this and cannot find anything relevant to this.
I think,
∫cF.dr = ∫cF.dr/dt dt ..
also dr/dt isn't it = ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk
Also it seems that C is with parabolic shape?
Can someone tell me what is the relationship with y=x^2 and 't'

The principle is that [itex]C[/itex] can be parametrized by any [itex]\mathbf{r}(t) = (x(t),y(t))[/itex] such that [itex]\mathbf{r}(0) = (0,0)[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{r}(1) = (1,1)[/itex], together with [itex]\|d\mathbf{r}/dt\| > 0[/itex] for all [itex]t \in (0,1)[/itex] and [itex]y(t) = (x(t))^2[/itex] for all [itex]t \in (0,1)[/itex]. Subject to those constraints the integral doesn't depend on the particular choice of [itex]\mathbf{r}(t)[/itex].

Can you think of a simple choice for [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)[/itex]?
 
I got it it was simpler that I thought .. Thanks for the time :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3az4t1r6sj52rkw/IMG_20140415_224810.jpg