How is the volume of a parallelepiped with edges A, B, and C calculated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tronter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
tronter
Messages
183
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Show that the volume of a parallelepiped with edges [tex]A,B,C[/tex] is given by [tex]A \cdot (B \times C)[/tex].

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]B \times C[/tex] is the area of a parallelogram. From here I would I deduce the above result?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, in two dimensions x and y the area is A=|bxc|. The height is actually |a|*|cos(theta)|. Where theta is the angle between vector a, and the cross product of vectors b and c. I'll include a picture but I hope this helps analytically to prove it. V=|a dot product to (b cross product with c.
 
Attachments
  • parallelepiped.JPG
    parallelepiped.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 750