1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please explain volume of parallelepiped

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok so my book says that the volume of a parallelepiped is:

V= |b cross c||a||cos(theta)| = |a dot (b cross c)|, where a, b, and c are vectors

I get the "|b cross c||a||cos(theta)|" part because I can see the geometry but I don't get how they get from that to |a dot (b cross c)|.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I see how |a||cos(theta)| looks kinda familiar so I tried to figure out using that.

So I know a dot b = |a||b|cos(theta), so

|a|cos(theta) = (a dot b)/|b| but then if I plug that quantity in it doesn't seem to work.

So can anyone help me see why |b cross c||a||cos(theta)| = |a dot (b cross c)| ?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of a, b, and c with their tails together. b x c is a vector perpendicular to the plane of b and c and |b x c| is numerically equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by b and c. To get the volume of the parallelepiped formed with this parallelogram as a base and a as the third side you need to multiply the area of the base by the height of the parallelepiped. But the height of the parallelepiped is the component of a perpendicular to the plane of b and c. If theta is the angle between b x c and a, then this height is h = |a|cos(theta). So the volume is V = h|bxc| = |a|cos(theta)|bxc| = a dot (bxc). Does that help?

4. Aug 27, 2011 #3
    I already understood how the volume is |bxc||a||cos(theta)| but I don't understand how that equals |a dot(bxc)|. Can you explain how |bxc||a||cos(theta)|= |a dot(bxc)|? Thanks.

5. Aug 27, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, that's all you are asking. That is just the basic property of dot product:

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = |\vec A||\vec B|\cos\theta[/tex]

applied to a and bxc. Here θ is the angle between a and bxc.

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5
    Ok so I'm still not seeing it.

I want to show that |bxc||a||cos(theta)| = |a dot (bxc)|

ok my first step: I know that a dot b = |a||b|cos(theta) so I can solve for |a|cos(theta)

So now I have |bxc|(a dot b)/||b| = |a dot (bxc)|

So I plug it in and get:

|bxc|[(a dot b)/|b|] and now I am stuck.

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just do what I suggested above. Replace B by BxC in the identity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook