How is thermochromatic rainbow paint made?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of liquid crystals in thermochromatic paint and the search for these chemicals. The conversation mentions that liquid crystals can be purchased from chemical suppliers and suggests searching on websites such as Sigma-Aldrich. The conversation also mentions the idea of extracting liquid crystals from LCD displays and using them to create thermochromatic paint. Finally, the conversation mentions the availability of thermochromatic paint on online shops such as Amazon and the potential for creating a rainbow of colors with minute temperature changes through experimentation.
sauroman1
I'm curious how thermochromatic paint is made that has many changing colors corresponding to different temperatures? Read that liquid crystals are used but they same as in LCD displays or it's somekind another chemical?

Science news on Phys.org
What it could. I checked Wikipedia. These are liquids crystals but I have no idea what chemicals used and where to find them. That's why I'm hoping learn something from experts.

A liquid crystals IS a type of chemical. It is basically -as the name implies- a liquid (with some short range order, hence the "crystal") with very interesting optical properties.
Hence, the answer to your question is that you buy them from suppliers of chemicals. If you go to e.g. the Sigma-Aldrich website and search for "liquid crystals" you will get lots of hits.
Note that the chemical formulas for the C that are used commercially tend to be proprietary, i.e. you can't buy them and the manufacturer won't tell you how to make them.

Anybody tried extracting liquid crystals from LCD displays? I do have defective PC LCD display from which I plan to get polarizer film and maybe make lamp from backlight, it would be great if I could make as well thermochromatic paint from display.

I see several LCD sheets, and also thermochromatic paint sold on amazon.

I can't find liquid crystal based paints in online shops. I mean thermochromatic not those with just two colors but LC which have beautiful rainbow colors corresponding to minute temperature changes.

sauroman1 said:
I can't find liquid crystal based paints in online shops. I mean thermochromatic not those with just two colors but LC which have beautiful rainbow colors corresponding to minute temperature changes.

I'm not pushing Amazon, but here are some things I found easily.

To get a rainbow of colors from minute temperature changes, you would have to experiment. Put on your artistic experimenter's hat.

1. How does thermochromatic rainbow paint change colors?

Thermochromatic rainbow paint is made with temperature-sensitive pigments that change color when exposed to heat. These pigments contain liquid crystals that are arranged in a specific pattern. When the temperature changes, the crystals move and reflect light in different ways, resulting in a change of color.

2. What are the main ingredients used in thermochromatic rainbow paint?

The main ingredients in thermochromatic rainbow paint are temperature-sensitive pigments, binders, and solvents. The pigments are responsible for changing color, while the binders and solvents help to create a smooth and durable paint that can be applied to surfaces.

3. How is the color range of thermochromatic rainbow paint determined?

The color range of thermochromatic rainbow paint is determined by the type and amount of temperature-sensitive pigments used in the paint. Different pigments have different temperature ranges and can produce a variety of colors. The amount of pigment used also affects the intensity and range of colors.

4. Is thermochromatic rainbow paint safe for indoor use?

Yes, thermochromatic rainbow paint is safe for indoor use as it is non-toxic and does not contain any harmful chemicals. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper usage and ventilation.

5. Can thermochromatic rainbow paint be used on any surface?

Thermochromatic rainbow paint can be used on a variety of surfaces, including walls, wood, fabric, and paper. However, it is recommended to test a small area first to ensure compatibility and adhesion. Smooth, non-porous surfaces may require a primer before painting for better adhesion.