1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long is a piece of sinosoidal string?

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    I am trying to calculate the arc length of a sine wave.

Using [tex]s=\int_{}^{}\sqrt[]{1 + {(\frac{dy}{dx})}^{2}}dx[/tex]

if y = sinx, dy/dx = cosx

So the integral simplyfies to [tex]s=\int_{}^{}\sqrt[]{1 + {cos}^{2}(x)}dx[/tex]

However I do not know any integration technique (ie. substitution, by parts, etc..) with which I can calculate this integral analytically.

If you can think of any other way of going about this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mathematica calls this function EllipticE (performing the integral from 0 to 2п gives [itex]4\sqrt{2}\mathtt{EllipticE}(1/2) \approx 7.6404[/itex]), so I doubt there is a more elementary answer (like [itex]\pi/2[/itex] or [itex]\operatorname{arcsinh}(-1)[/itex]).
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    Right, there is no elementary answer
  5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    I have to admit I am a little disappointed. I thought there might be a way of performing the integral by pure analytical means.
    But thank you very much for your responses.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?