How Long Something Stays in Air Calculation. Help Needed

In summary, a kangaroo will remain in the air for approximately 0.78 seconds if it jumps through a height of 3.0m, assuming a constant acceleration of 9.81 m/ss and an initial velocity of 0 m/s. However, this answer may need to be multiplied by 2 to account for the time it takes to reach the top of the parabola and then come back down to the ground. Further calculations may be needed to determine the exact time in this scenario.
student54321

Homework Statement

Jumping straight up, how long will a kangaroo remain in the air if it jumps through a height of 3.0m?

Homework Equations

d=vf(t) - 1/2 a (t)2

I Think?

The Attempt at a Solution

Defined all variable
d=3.0 m
a=9.81 m/ss
vf=0m/s2

then:
d=vf(t) - 1/2 a (t)2
3.0=0 - 4.905(t)2
0.61=(t)2
t=Square root of 0.611
t=0.78

I got the wrong answer. But when I multiplied my answer by two I got the right answer. Don't know why so I'll need some help here.

And I know I skipped some calulation steps in my answer, I have them written on paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just thought about it. Is it because what goes up must come down? So it needs to be 2 times the time, I just calculated for the time to the top of the parabola. Am I right?

1. How is the "how long something stays in air" calculation performed?

The calculation is typically performed by using the principles of physics and aerodynamics to determine the amount of time an object will remain in the air. Factors such as air resistance, gravity, and initial velocity are taken into account to make the calculation.

2. What is the formula for calculating how long something stays in air?

The formula for calculating how long something stays in air is: t = 2 * (v₀/g) * sin(θ), where t is the time, v₀ is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of launch.

3. Can the calculation be used for any type of object?

The calculation can be used for most objects, as long as they have a consistent shape and weight. It may not be as accurate for irregularly shaped or very lightweight objects.

4. How does air resistance affect the "how long something stays in air" calculation?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the amount of time an object stays in air. Objects with larger surface areas or less aerodynamic shapes will experience more air resistance and therefore have a shorter flight time.

5. Are there any online calculators or tools available to help with this calculation?

Yes, there are many online calculators and tools available that can help with the "how long something stays in air" calculation. These tools often allow you to input the necessary variables and will provide the calculated flight time for you.