How Long Will It Take the Car to Catch the Truck?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
colin_delecia
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
A car moving at 187km/h is behind a truck that's moving at 71km/h and is 150m ahead of the car

How long will it take the car to catch the truck ?

I'm literally in 2 lectures in my physics 101 class but I figure it would be cool to take a shot at the problem. This is what I did...


87km/h - 71km/h = 16km/h

16km/h = 4.4m/s

4.4m/s = 150 / t

t * 4.4m/s = 150
t = 150 - 4.4m/s
t = 146s

Well I checked it on masteringphysics h.w site and it was wrong...can't think of anything else.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
colin_delecia said:
A car moving at 187km/h is behind a truck that's moving at 71km/h and is 150m ahead of the car

How long will it take the car to catch the truck ?

I'm literally in 2 lectures in my physics 101 class but I figure it would be cool to take a shot at the problem. This is what I did...


87km/h - 71km/h = 16km/h

16km/h = 4.4m/s

4.4m/s = 150 / t

t * 4.4m/s = 150
t = 150 - 4.4m/s
t = 146s[/color]

Well I checked it on masteringphysics h.w site and it was wrong...can't think of anything else.

See red region.Do you got the point? Answer should around 38 seconds.
 
yea, 34s. I was supposed to do 150m / 4.4m/s. thanks