How long will you be a drain on Social Security?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary, the calculator estimates how long you'll live based on your family history and lifestyles.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Here's a calculator that estimates how long you'll live based on your family history and lifestyles.

http://www.livingto100.com/

Those of you advanced in years that are concerned about the coming Social Security crisis should take up some bad habits. The rest of us will appreciate you for it. :smile:

For you younger folks; live safer. We need all of you we can get to pay Social Security taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, my calculated life expectancy is 80 years. Good enough for me

marlon

91 for me. Though, I always object to these surveys that assume it would be better to live closer to family. Ha! They obviously are all written by Momma's boys, and don't have relatives like mine! Living close to my family would deduct years from my life by adding a LOT of stress. :rolleyes: :smile:

I tried to do it but that website was so slow I just gave up...no one else had that problem?

scorpa said:
I tried to do it but that website was so slow I just gave up...no one else had that problem?

Yes, but instead of closing the browser window, I did something else and only remembered I'd started to go to the site when I was getting ready to log off, so I'm not sure how long it took to load.

I scored 83.

Yep it was slow for me too and then the last page simply won't load :(. I will try again in a few minutes.

Edit : There we go, 74. Ouch =-)

scorpa said:

It was faster after the first page, but yeah, I just let it open while browsing other sites, and returned when it was ready. It has the same flaws (in my opinion) as other similar surveys where there aren't any choices for some categories between once a week and never. For example, I don't avoid sweets, but I don't indulge in them all the time...maybe a few days a month I get an especially strong craving for chocolate :wink: ...but there was no choice that fit that. At least this one had an option for the exercise that let you say you do the equivalent of 30 min or more per day of exercise in work-related tasks. I can't stand the idea of exercising for the sake of exercising and not getting anything productive done during that time, so I could at least choose that option that fits a little better with what I do.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Edit : There we go, 74. Ouch =-)
Well, gosh, just look at your picture in your avatar...you're already awfully decrepit looking for your age! :smile:

:smile: , Mr.Burns is 104 and he's still going... sorta. :smile:

81, kind of low based on other's scores. I need to get healthier darnit!

I wonder if this thing is any more accurate than a stack of tarot cards.

It doesn't seem to account for change, for example if one was to start eating crispy creams every day for one reason or another and then gained 20 pounds as a result, this test would statistically group them with the people whom have weighed 20 extra pounds all their life. Right?

edit : Just for fun I chose all the worst possibilities, 3 packs of smokes/day 300lbs and under 4 ft, 3 heart attacks (at age 20) and never excersize and they still gave me 47 years. lol, optimistic I guess

Last edited:
74. I'd say the test is off. I'm likely looking at about mid to late 50s.

83. I apparently need to go to the doctor more often, gain a life partner, exercise more, and not have a stressful life (the latter of which I don't think I have anyway).

78 good enough for me. They want me to cut out red meat...yeah right.

What is red meat? Does that mean steak (for example), or does that mean steak that is not cooked well-done? I took it as the latter, which was probably incorrect :redface:

Its the color when it is uncooked. beef/lamb/duck is red meat, whereas chicken is white meat.

So I guess I lied. I wonder how lying affects your life expectancy :smile:

Im going to live until 94! I wanted to make it too 100 that would be cool...

mattmns said:
So I guess I lied. I wonder how lying affects your life expectancy :smile:

Lying decreases your life span by 0.5 years.

(Or it increases it by 0.5 years and I'm increasing my own lifespan at your expense.)

I wonder how much marriage decreases one's lifespan ;)

FAQ: How long will you be a drain on Social Security?

1. How long will I receive Social Security benefits?

The length of time you will receive Social Security benefits depends on various factors, such as your age, earnings history, and retirement age. Generally, you can start receiving benefits as early as age 62 and continue until your death. However, the full retirement age for receiving benefits is between 65 and 67, depending on your birth year. You can also choose to delay receiving benefits until age 70, which may result in higher monthly payments.

2. Will Social Security run out of money?

Social Security is funded by payroll taxes, and it is projected that the Social Security Trust Fund will be depleted by 2034. After that, it is estimated that the program will still be able to pay out about 76% of scheduled benefits. However, there are ongoing discussions and efforts to ensure the long-term sustainability of the program.

3. Can I receive Social Security benefits if I am still working?

Yes, you can receive Social Security benefits while still working. However, if you have not reached full retirement age, your benefits may be reduced if your earnings exceed a certain limit. Once you reach full retirement age, there is no limit on how much you can earn while receiving benefits.

4. How does the government determine the amount of Social Security benefits I will receive?

The amount of Social Security benefits you will receive is based on your average earnings over your lifetime. The Social Security Administration calculates your benefits using a formula that takes into account your 35 highest-earning years. The age at which you start receiving benefits also affects the amount you will receive.

5. Can I receive Social Security benefits if I have never worked?

In most cases, you need to have worked and paid Social Security taxes for at least 10 years to be eligible for Social Security benefits. However, there are some exceptions for spouses, widows/widowers, and certain disabled individuals who may be able to receive benefits based on their spouse's or parent's work history.