How many cubic meters in a cylinder?

In summary, a cylinder with a radius of 5m and a height of 10m has a volume of 785.4m^3. This is calculated by using the formula V = pi*r^2*h, where r and h are both in meters, resulting in a volume with units of (meters)^3.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

Given a cylinder of radius = 5m, and height = 10m, how many cubic meters is that? If I just compute those values in the formula for a cylinder, I get 785.4. But 785.4 what? Is it785.4m^3?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

Given a cylinder of radius = 5m, and height = 10m, how many cubic meters is that? If I just compute those values in the formula for a cylinder, I get 785.4. But 785.4 what? Is it785.4m^3?

Yes, you have a ##\pi r^2h## which dimensionally is ##m^3##.

Yes, look at the formula for volume:

[tex]V = \pi r^2 h[/tex]

The units of both r and h are meters, so the units of volume are (meters)^2 * meters = (meters)^3.

Thanks jbunniii and LCKurtz

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height.

2. How do I convert cubic meters to other units of volume?

To convert cubic meters to other units of volume, you can use the following conversions:

• 1 cubic meter = 1000 liters
  • 1 cubic meter = 35.3147 cubic feet
  • 1 cubic meter = 1000000 cubic centimeters

3. How many cubic meters are in a standard swimming pool?

The volume of a standard swimming pool can vary, but on average it is around 250 cubic meters.

4. What is the difference between cubic meters and square meters?

Cubic meters measure volume, while square meters measure area. Cubic meters are used to measure the amount of space an object or substance occupies, while square meters are used to measure the surface area of an object or space.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the volume of a cylinder?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the volume of a cylinder. Simply input the values for radius and height into the formula V = πr²h and solve for the volume.