1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many dimensions is this vector space?

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    So I just got out of my linear algebra midterm, and this question is confusing the hell out of me. Basically, it's a subspace of R^4, such that the coordinates satisfy the following qualifications:

(a, b - a, b, 2(b - a))

So basically, a and b can range over the xz plane, and y and w sort of follow suit. I said that this space had the basis given by the three vectors:

(a,0,0,0)
    (0,0,b,0)
    (0,b-a,0,2(b-a))

But now that I look back at it, the more it seems like this is a 2-dimensional subspace, since you're essentially mapping from the xz plane to a line in yw, which means that it's basically isomorphic to a plane in three space.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that you can write ##(a, b-a, b, 2(b-a))## as the linear combination of two vectors: $$(a, b-a, b, 2(b-a)) = a(1, -1, 0, -2) + b(0, 1, 1, 2)$$
    What does this tell you about the dimension of the subspace?

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

It is indeed 2-dimensional: you can re-write it as [itex]a(1, -1, 0, -2) + b(0,1,1,2)[/itex].

None of the vectors you give as basis vectors are actually in that subspace for arbitrary a and b: to get the second component to vanish you must take a = b, so either the first and third components are both non-zero or they are both zero, in which case all components are zero. To make the first and third components vanish you must take a = b = 0, in which case all components are zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted