How many dimensions is this vector space?

In summary, the given subspace of R^4 is 2-dimensional and can be written as a linear combination of two vectors. However, none of the basis vectors provided are actually in the subspace for arbitrary values of a and b.
hello95
So I just got out of my linear algebra midterm, and this question is confusing the hell out of me. Basically, it's a subspace of R^4, such that the coordinates satisfy the following qualifications:

(a, b - a, b, 2(b - a))

So basically, a and b can range over the xz plane, and y and w sort of follow suit. I said that this space had the basis given by the three vectors:

(a,0,0,0)
(0,0,b,0)
(0,b-a,0,2(b-a))

But now that I look back at it, the more it seems like this is a 2-dimensional subspace, since you're essentially mapping from the xz plane to a line in yw, which means that it's basically isomorphic to a plane in three space.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that you can write ##(a, b-a, b, 2(b-a))## as the linear combination of two vectors: $$(a, b-a, b, 2(b-a)) = a(1, -1, 0, -2) + b(0, 1, 1, 2)$$
What does this tell you about the dimension of the subspace?

It is indeed 2-dimensional: you can re-write it as [itex]a(1, -1, 0, -2) + b(0,1,1,2)[/itex].

None of the vectors you give as basis vectors are actually in that subspace for arbitrary a and b: to get the second component to vanish you must take a = b, so either the first and third components are both non-zero or they are both zero, in which case all components are zero. To make the first and third components vanish you must take a = b = 0, in which case all components are zero.

1. How do you determine the number of dimensions in a vector space?

The number of dimensions in a vector space is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors in that space. This can be found by calculating the rank of the matrix representing the vectors, or by counting the number of basis vectors in the space.

2. Can a vector space have an infinite number of dimensions?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of dimensions. This is known as an infinite-dimensional vector space.

3. Is the number of dimensions in a vector space always a whole number?

No, the number of dimensions in a vector space can be a whole number or a fraction. This is known as a fractional-dimensional vector space, where the dimensions represent a fraction of a whole dimension.

4. Can the dimensions of a vector space change?

Yes, the dimensions of a vector space can change depending on the basis chosen for that space. Different bases can result in different numbers of dimensions for the same vector space.

5. Are there upper limits to the number of dimensions in a vector space?

Theoretically, there are no upper limits to the number of dimensions in a vector space. However, in practical applications, there may be limitations due to computational power or the physical constraints of the system.