Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How many elements are in two power sets

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] how many elements are in two power sets

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a.How many elements are in the power set {1,2,3,4}? b.How many elements are in the power set {1,2,3,4,5}?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. {empty set, {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {1,4}, {2,3}, {2,4}, {3,4}, {1,2,3}, {1,2,3,4}} Are there 13 elements?

b. {empty set, {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {1,4}, {1,5}, {2,3}, {2,4}, {2,5}, {3,4}, {3,5}, {4,5}, {1,2,3}, {1,2,3,4}}

Are there 19 elements?

Is there a general rule as to how many elements are in a power set?

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

What happened to {2,3,4} and a few more?

No. Like the last one, some are mising.

It will be just the total number of combinations of 'n' things taken any number at a time, and one more (when you don't select any). Do you know how to find that?

4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    I got 16 elements in the first one. Does that look right?

(It will be just the total number of combinations of 'n' things taken any number at a time, and one more (when you don't select any). Do you know how to find that?)

No, I don't know how to do that. Could you please show me?

Thank you

5. Mar 30, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

That is correct.

Consider the first problem. You can choose 1, or not choose 1. So, 1 can be dealt with in two ways. For each of these cases, you can choose, or not choose 2. So, total number of ways to select either 1 or 2 or both or none is 2X2=4=2^2. Choosing none means you get the null set. Similarly, for the four elements 1 2 3 4, total number of choosing would be 2^4. All these selections is giving you the elements of the power set. So, the number of elements in the power set of the set {1,2,3,4} is 2^4.

I'm sure you can tackle the next problem using this formula for the number of elements in the power set of a finite set.

6. Mar 30, 2008 #5
    Thank you very much

Regards

7. Mar 30, 2008 #6
    Just writitng in general what actually Shooting Star already said and elaborated.

If X is a set with |X|=n elements then: [tex]|P(X)|=2^{|X|}=2^{n}[/tex] so the power set has 2^n elements.

8. Mar 30, 2008 #7
    Thank you very much

Regards

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook