1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many elements are in two power sets

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] how many elements are in two power sets

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a.How many elements are in the power set {1,2,3,4}? b.How many elements are in the power set {1,2,3,4,5}?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. {empty set, {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {1,4}, {2,3}, {2,4}, {3,4}, {1,2,3}, {1,2,3,4}} Are there 13 elements?

b. {empty set, {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {1,4}, {1,5}, {2,3}, {2,4}, {2,5}, {3,4}, {3,5}, {4,5}, {1,2,3}, {1,2,3,4}}

Are there 19 elements?

Is there a general rule as to how many elements are in a power set?

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

What happened to {2,3,4} and a few more?

No. Like the last one, some are mising.

It will be just the total number of combinations of 'n' things taken any number at a time, and one more (when you don't select any). Do you know how to find that?

4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    I got 16 elements in the first one. Does that look right?

(It will be just the total number of combinations of 'n' things taken any number at a time, and one more (when you don't select any). Do you know how to find that?)

No, I don't know how to do that. Could you please show me?

Thank you

5. Mar 30, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

That is correct.

Consider the first problem. You can choose 1, or not choose 1. So, 1 can be dealt with in two ways. For each of these cases, you can choose, or not choose 2. So, total number of ways to select either 1 or 2 or both or none is 2X2=4=2^2. Choosing none means you get the null set. Similarly, for the four elements 1 2 3 4, total number of choosing would be 2^4. All these selections is giving you the elements of the power set. So, the number of elements in the power set of the set {1,2,3,4} is 2^4.

I'm sure you can tackle the next problem using this formula for the number of elements in the power set of a finite set.

6. Mar 30, 2008 #5
    Thank you very much

Regards

7. Mar 30, 2008 #6
    Just writitng in general what actually Shooting Star already said and elaborated.

If X is a set with |X|=n elements then: [tex]|P(X)|=2^{|X|}=2^{n}[/tex] so the power set has 2^n elements.

8. Mar 30, 2008 #7
    Thank you very much

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?