1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How many of these are isomorphisms?

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the number of group homomorphisms from Zn to Zn is equal to n. How many of these are isomorphisms?

3. The attempt at a solution
    It has been shown by other proofs that the number of homomorphisms from Zm to Zn is the gcd(m,n), but here m=n, so the gcd(n,n)=n so that is the number of homomorphisms. (Correct?) and I have no idea how to determine how many would be isomorphisms.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    Re: Homomorphisms

Since 1 generates Zn, any homomorphism is determined by where 1 gets sent. So the image of a homomorphism is generated by the image of 1. What elements of Zn generate Zn?

4. Apr 10, 2010 #3

Wouldn't it be all elements relatively prime to n? In the case of Z6:1,3,5; In the case of Z8:1,3,5,7

5. Apr 10, 2010 #4

Yep.

6. Apr 10, 2010 #5

Does this necessarily mean that there are only 3 homomorphisms in the case of Z6->Z6?
    I was under the impression that the number of homomorphisms in this example would be 6! = 720 and only 6 of those would be isomorphisms.

Here was my thought process:
    The mappings cycle through, i.e. Z1 maps to Z1-6, then Z2 maps to Z1-6, on till Z6 maps to Z1-6, giving 6! homomorphisms. Each isomorphism occurs at Zn->Zn, so Z1->Z1, Z2->Z2, ..., Z6->Z6.

Is that not correct?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook