How Many Ordered Pairs Meet the Criteria for Ball Arrangement Probability?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathwizarddud
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
mathwizarddud
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
How many ordered pairs [tex](b,y)[/tex] of positive integers with [tex]4 \le b \le y \le 2007[/tex] are there such that when [tex]b[/tex] blue balls and [tex]y[/tex] yellow balls are randomnly arranged in a row, the probability that the balls on each end have the same colour is [tex]1/2[/tex]?

PS: Is there a button such that I could just click on it after I highlighted the text that I want to be included in the LaTeX tags? It's going to save me a lot of typing if there's such button (without keep typing [tex]and so on)![/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This just looks like some conditional probability problem. Is it homework, a challenge for the rest of us, or something else?