How mathy are gravitational waves?

In summary, the speaker is considering focusing on gravitational wave physics instead of pure gravity theory in order to increase job opportunities, but is concerned about leaving behind their love for pure math. They are advised to research job opportunities and potentially pursue a master's degree while working towards a PhD in order to have support from an employer. It is also noted that gravitational wave research involves a significant amount of math, so the speaker may not have to give up their favorite mathematical concepts.
quasar_4
I'm about to head off to graduate school and (like many other physics students) I love theory, and especially GR, which is what my undergraduate research has been in.

But, I'm also aware of the limitations on eventually finding a job. I'd eventually like to work. So, I've been tossing around the idea of leaning more towards gravitational wave physics than just pure gravity theory. However, I also love math (pure math) and am wondering - if I move to gravitational waves, will I have to say goodbye to my favorite mathematical objects (diffeomorphisms, groups, etc) forever? Because that would make me sad... I LOVE the math in GR; in fact, I'm pretty sure that's mostly why I love GR...

any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
i have no idea how mathy gravitational waves can be, but i would say you should get a more practical education to get work.

Don't make a major decision to give up studying something you really love.

At least make a good faith effort to learn what types of research and the numbers of jobs are available in your area. Certain areas are more forgiving to masters level graduates while others may typically require PHD's. One apparoach could be to find work at the Masters level and let your employer support you while you work towards your PHD.

Unless you decide to move towards the experimental part of gravitational wave research (i.e., trying to see them), you won't have to give up any math. Any purely theoretical subject like this will contain enough math to keep just about anyone happy (although I'm not quite sure where the group theory would fit in, but it has a tendency to creep in anything)

FAQ: How mathy are gravitational waves?

1. How do we know that gravitational waves exist?

Gravitational waves were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity in 1916. In 2015, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) detected the first direct evidence of gravitational waves, which were produced by the merging of two black holes.

2. How are gravitational waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime, while electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field. Gravitational waves can pass through any form of matter without being affected, while electromagnetic waves can be absorbed or reflected by matter.

3. Can we see gravitational waves?

No, gravitational waves cannot be seen with the naked eye. They are detected using specialized instruments, like the LIGO detectors, which measure tiny changes in the length of laser beams caused by passing gravitational waves.

4. How is math used to study gravitational waves?

Math is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of gravitational waves. Einstein's theory of general relativity is based on complex mathematical equations that describe the relationship between matter and spacetime. Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to analyze and interpret the data collected from gravitational wave detectors.

5. Can gravitational waves be used for anything practical?

Gravitational waves have the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and its origins. They could also provide a new way to study black holes and other exotic objects in space. In the future, gravitational waves may even be used for practical applications such as improving our GPS systems and detecting earthquakes and other natural disasters.