How much could heaviest flying animal weight?

In summary, there is a great discrepancy in the assumption of the heaviest flying animal that Isaac Asimov mentioned in one science book and what Wikipedia says about the heaviest flying animal that may have ever lived. It appears that the Wikipedia article is more accurate because it takes into account different criteria for active flight.
Tiger Blood
OK I'm not sure if I put this in right subforum.

I remember once reading in some science book by Isaac Asimov that the heaviest any flying animal can be is 22 kg, but I read on Wikipedia that Quetzalcoatlus may weighted up to 250 kg. So how come there's such a great difference in that assumption just few decades ago?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for one, Isaac Asimov was not an aerodynamicist, so I hardly believe he is the authoritative source on the matter. There is no theoretical maximum limit. We make airplanes that fly that weigh many tons, and they are less efficient than birds. The limit is how large the animal can be, because the heavier it becomes, the larger wings it needs (and the more it needs to eat to provide energy).

Likes davenn
boneh3ad said:
The limit is how large the animal can be, because the heavier it becomes, the larger wings it needs (and the more it needs to eat to provide energy).
There is also the the issue for all big animals, that mass scales cubic, while area just quadratic.

Tiger Blood said:
I read on Wikipedia that Quetzalcoatlus may weighted up to 250 kg.
Yes, but there are also debates on what kind of flight they did. Soaring in updrafts after taking off from an elevated position (like a hang-glider) is different from take off from level ground in still air. These different criteria might be the reason for the discrepancy.

Last edited:
boneh3ad said:
We make airplanes that fly that weigh many tons, and they are less efficient than birds.

Less efficient then birds? Animals only have muscle power. So there is no weight limit to muscle power?

Tiger Blood said:

I remember once reading in some science book by Isaac Asimov that the heaviest any flying animal can be is 22 kg, but I read on Wikipedia that Quetzalcoatlus may weighted up to 250 kg. So how come there's such a great difference in that assumption just few decades ago?

There's a delightful discussion in Thompson's "On Growth and Form". We need to distinguish *gliding flight* from *active flight*. Larger birds (and pterodactyls) primarily rely on gliding.

For active flying, the work required by a bird of length 'l' to fly varies as l3.5; an ostrich requires 5 times as much effort to fly than a sparrow. This is because the momentum of the bird scales as l3v and the momentum of air air deflected downwards is proportional to l2v2, where v is the speed of the bird. Setting them equal gives the scaling relationship above. Now, comparing the work expended on flying to the rate of power generation from muscles (which scales as l2v) probably gets to Asmiov's estimate

Considering gliding flight is more difficult, because 1) it depends on the relative speed between bird and air and 2) depends on the details of the wing geometry, and wings are both movable and flexible. For aircraft, the minimum speed scales as the square root of the length- if we say the sparrow's minimum speed is 20 miles/hour, the ostrich must fly at 100 mph- and here again, birds (and flying insects) display a range of behavior, including swooping- a griffon vulture can swoop at speeds up to 180 mph. By contrast, terns have been observed to fly at 15 mph. Clearly, gliding flight accommodates masses greater than 22kg- consider hang-gliders. and sail-planes.

I read 40 lb is the upper limit. The musculature to support more than 40 lb at takeoff would be cumbersome. I'm not sure of this as I have never considered the question in depth.

boneh3ad said:
The limit is how large the animal can be, because the heavier it becomes, the larger wings it needs...
True, but as scale goes up, wing loading can also go up: Cube loading = weight/(wing area)3/2

Andy Resnick said:
For active flying, the work required by a bird of length 'l' to fly varies as l3.5; an ostrich requires 5 times as much effort to fly than a sparrow.
Seems like a really big sparrow or a rather small ostrich to get just 5 times the effort out of that l3.5.

A.T. said:
There is also the the issue for all big animals, that mass scales cubic, while area just quadratic.

Tiger Blood said:
Less efficient then birds? Animals only have muscle power. So there is no weight limit to muscle power?

David Lewis said:
True, but as scale goes up, wing loading can also go up: Cube loading = weight/(wing area)3/2

Sure there are some practical considerations, and at some point you'll definitely run into problems of energy consumption in order to fly, but since we are talking about the theoretical limit, and there is no theoretical reason why you couldn't have a 500 kg animal flying. It just probably would never evolve because of the energy/food requirements to sustain such a creature.

Tiger Blood said:

Well there is the Kori Bustard of Africa, up to 40 pounds that can fly, but it spends most of its time walking around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kori_bustard

The 22 pounds seems to be a reference to the Albatros, which can sustain flight for days and travel 1000 of miles without doing a wing beat.
Long wing span and use of soaring can keep it in the air with no more energy expenditure than if it was resting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albatross
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...le-journey-WITHOUT-flapping-wings-solved.html

Tiger Blood said:
Asimov that the heaviest any flying animal can be is 22 kg,
256bits said:
Well there is the Kori Bustard of Africa, up to 40 pounds that can fly, but it spends most of its time walking around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kori_bustard

The 22 pounds seems to be a reference to the Albatros,
The OP states 22kg = 48.5 pounds, so the Kori Bustard is within that, and can even takeoff vertically:

The Albatross is more optimized for long flights than quick escape, so it runs (ideally downhill) or uses the updraft at a cliff.

Likes 256bits
Nugatory said:
Seems like a really big sparrow or a rather small ostrich to get just 5 times the effort out of that l3.5.

It's a ratio. If the length doubles, the work increases by a factor of 23.5: 23, or 1.4:1. If the ratio of linear dimensions of an ostrich to sparrow is 25:1, the work increased by a ratio of 253.5: 253, or 57:56, or 5:1. And yes, that calculation seems to imply that ostrich flight is not much more difficult than sparrow flight- until you consider gliding.

Andy Resnick said:
It's a ratio. If the length doubles, the work increases by a factor of 23.5: 23, or 1.4:1. If the ratio of linear dimensions of an ostrich to sparrow is 25:1, the work increased by a ratio of 253.5: 253, or 57:56, or 5:1. And yes, that calculation seems to imply that ostrich flight is not much more difficult than sparrow flight- until you consider gliding.
Got it - thx.

Likes Andy Resnick

1. How much does the heaviest flying animal weigh?

The heaviest flying animal is the Andean condor, which can weigh up to 33 lbs (15 kg). However, this weight can vary depending on the individual bird and its diet.

2. How does the weight of the heaviest flying animal compare to other animals?

The Andean condor's weight is relatively small compared to other animals, such as the African elephant which can weigh over 13,000 lbs (5,897 kg).

3. How does the weight of the heaviest flying animal affect its ability to fly?

The weight of the heaviest flying animal does not necessarily impact its ability to fly. Birds have adapted over time to have lightweight bones and strong muscles, allowing them to fly despite their weight.

4. Are there any extinct flying animals that were heavier than the Andean condor?

Yes, the heaviest flying animal that ever existed was the extinct Argentavis magnificens. It is estimated to have weighed over 150 lbs (70 kg).

5. Can the weight of the heaviest flying animal change over time?

Yes, the weight of the heaviest flying animal can vary depending on factors such as food availability and breeding success. It is also possible for birds to lose weight during migration due to the energy expended during long flights.