Navigating the World of Modern Physics: My Experience as a New College Student

• Thread starter LENIN
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker recently enrolled in college and had a conversation with some students who also enrolled. They had previously met at a physics competition and the speaker felt intimidated by their knowledge of modern physics and string theory. The speaker wonders how much of this knowledge is expected at the college level and is reassured that there is no modern physics in the first year of college. They plan to ask the knowledgeable students lots of questions and catch up on modern physics in their free time.
LENIN
I just enroled in my collage yesterday. It was qouit cool and I had a great conversation with some of the students that also enroled. They where the students I meet at the national physicsa competition earlyer this year. It was cool to meat theme agein but I got a bit scered theye where all talking about moderen physics as dou it's the simpelest thing in the world. Theye all already wisitet classes on modern physics and string theory. But I hardlly know enything about theme.

How much of this stuff did you know whene you entered collage? Am I really that far behind.

Physics news on Phys.org
well i think at most high schools you do only one course of each subject in each school year. so, say you do one math course. at university you can do FOUR (or more!) math courses in each TERM! & you can do that for at least a couple years. that's how far beyond the 'average person' a university graduate is, assuming they actually learned something.

i assume it would be similar for english, history, etc students also. a girl i work with is just starting her 4th year of an english degree, & does roughly 1 novel, or shakespeare play (or some other equivalent) each week, in 5 courses, each term. that's something like 45-55 books per term she studies. she says she's collected/studied some 600 books so far & she still has 1 year to go. how many people do you know have 600 books on just one subject?

Last edited:
they talk modern physics but can they do the math/experiments. Don't fear what you don't know...you should have ample time to read up on stuf.

Len,

I recommend asking them LOTS of questions! Use them as a resource and learn from them. You may also discover their understanding is superficial.

Thanks Tide I think I will do that. And anyway I just looked thrugh my textbooks for the first year of collage and I found out that there is no moderne physics in the first year (it starts at the end of the second year). It's just mechanics, thermodynamics and some fluid statics. There isn't even any electicity before the second year. So I have qouit some of time to catch up on the moderne physics stuff.

Tide said:
Len,

I recommend asking them LOTS of questions! Use them as a resource and learn from them. You may also discover their understanding is superficial.

ya maybe they're total bs-ers, and like to think they're really impressing people when talking about that stuff.

1. How much did you know about the topic before conducting your research?

As a scientist, it is important for me to have a strong foundation of knowledge in my field of study before conducting research. I typically have a solid understanding of the theories, concepts, and previous studies related to the topic I am investigating.

2. How much new information did you learn during your research?

During my research, I am constantly learning new information and gaining a deeper understanding of the topic. This could include new data, findings, or perspectives that were not previously known. The amount of new information I learn varies depending on the complexity and depth of the research.

3. How much of your research was based on existing knowledge?

A significant portion of scientific research is based on existing knowledge. This includes building upon previous studies, theories, and data to further our understanding of a topic. However, it is also important to challenge and question existing knowledge in order to push the boundaries of our understanding.

4. How much of your research was based on your own hypotheses?

As a scientist, I often develop hypotheses based on my understanding of the topic and existing knowledge. These hypotheses serve as a starting point for my research, and I use them to guide my experiments and analyses. However, it is important to remain open-minded and adjust these hypotheses as new information is discovered.

5. How do you determine the validity of your research findings?

In order to ensure the validity of my research findings, I utilize various methods such as peer review, statistical analyses, and replication studies. Additionally, I consider the reliability of my data and the strength of my methodology when determining the validity of my findings.