How much electrical engineering in taught in Ms Mechatronic?

In summary: There's no harm in postponing your career in mechatronics if you need to catch up on electrical engineering.In summary, the person thinks that an MS in mechatronics will teach them enough electrical engineering to be an engineer, but they will need to continue learning because there is a lot they do not know.
Natcu
I have always been interested in Engineering and a while back I could not decide between Electrical and Mechanical. However, I chose Mechanical, but now that I see that almost every invention nowadays are in electrical engineering field (I want to be an inventor) I am upset!

So anyhow I was wondering how much electrical engineering would a master's degree in mechatronic teach me? compared to the normal BE/BS in electrical engineering? will it be enough ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natcu said:
So anyhow I was wondering how much electrical engineering would a master's degree in mechatronic teach me? compared to the normal BE/BS in electrical engineering? will it be enough ?

Enough for What?

If you think you're going to stop learning once you get out of school THINK AGAIN! If you aren't constantly learning new stuff, you'll be out of a job in no time.

So you ask whether an MS in mechatronics is full of enough electrical engineering. Who cares? If you can't learn this stuff on your own, you need to find a new field to study, because you won't cut it as an engineer.

Likes gmax137 and Natcu
JakeBrodskyPE said:
So you ask whether an MS in mechatronics is full of enough electrical engineering. Who cares? If you can't learn this stuff on your own, you need to find a new field to study, because you won't cut it as an engineer.
That is quite true and accurate. It is also the reason I asked this question, I am not one of those guys who study only what they opt for in college. I am in 1st year of mechanical engineering (which means I haven't even started studying Mech E yet) and I can design complex stuff like Turbines and clock mechanisms on Autocad which I learned on youtube.

I just need an approximation of how much keeping up with Electrical E I will need to do after studying Mechatronics so I can start working on it early

Thanks for the reply,

I'm studying Mechatronic engineering in a 3 year program. I've learned more stuff involving electronics than mechanical stuff. It's easier to have electronics labs than mechanics labs equipped with dynamometers etc. so everything involved mechanics is almost purely theoretical as we don't have labs for putting what we learn about mechanics in practice. You may be in the same situation depending on the infrastructure of the institution you're planning to study at.
What I've learned about electronics involves circuit analysis, AC analysis, digital electronics, some analogs, very few things about power electronics, sensors,electric machines and micro controllers. However, I'm not able to understand circuit diagrams that are composed of several transistors, capacitors, MOSFET,JFET for I was unlucky for having an incompetent analog electronics teacher. I've tried to learn analogs on my own but there's little time to do so and teachers willing to give the course extra officially are really few or even none. My knowledge in power electronics is little as well for similar reasons as analogs.
I'm not encouraging you to blame bad teachers, I'm just telling you what I think you may have to learn before you get to mechatronics. Make yourself the habit of learning from technical books and to ask as much as you need.

1. How much electrical engineering is involved in Ms Mechatronic?

Electrical engineering is a major component of Ms Mechatronic, as it is the foundation of the field. Students will learn about circuit analysis, power systems, control systems, and electronic devices.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of electrical engineering to study Ms Mechatronic?

No, prior knowledge of electrical engineering is not required to study Ms Mechatronic. However, a strong background in math and physics will be helpful in understanding the concepts.

3. Are there specific courses dedicated to electrical engineering in Ms Mechatronic?

Yes, there are specific courses that focus on electrical engineering in Ms Mechatronic. These courses cover topics such as digital electronics, microcontrollers, and electrical machines.

4. How does electrical engineering tie into the overall field of mechatronics?

Electrical engineering is essential in mechatronics as it deals with the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems used in mechatronic applications. This includes electronic circuits, sensors, actuators, and control systems.

5. Are there opportunities for hands-on experience with electrical engineering in Ms Mechatronic?

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities for hands-on experience with electrical engineering in Ms Mechatronic. Students will have access to labs and projects that involve designing and building electrical systems, giving them practical experience in the field.