Astrobotany: Can Plants Grow Bigger in Outer Space?

• Thread starter dansmith170
  • Start date
In summary: Bolting is a response to sudden changes in environmental conditions, such as a sudden increase in light intensity or temperature.It means the plant has been damaged and will not produce fruit or flowers.There are a few varieties of plants that bolt, such as corn, potatoes, and tomatoes.Bolting can also happen when a plant is moved from one location to another.TL;DR Summary: Can plants in outer space grow bigger because of increased solar irradiance?Solar irradiance at Earth's atmosphere is 1361 Watts / meter squared, compared to approximately 1000 Watts / meter squared on the Earth's surface (depending on where you are).The article mentions that plants grown in
dansmith170
TL;DR Summary
Can plants in outer space grow bigger because of increased solar irradiance?
According to Wikipedia Solar Irradiance at Earth's atmosphere is 1361 Watts / meter squared, compared to approximately 1000 Watts / meter squared on the Earth's surface (depending on where you are). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance).

My question is, does more sunlight mean larger plants? In other words, if I put a plant in orbit, will it grow bigger than it would on Earth. From what I read, less gravity means the plant grows less support structures. My question is, more specifically, will the fruit of the plant grow larger with more sunlight in an outer space environment?

Let's assume that the plant has adequate water, CO2, soil nutrients, and that we can somehow regulate the temperature to an ideal temperature for the plant.

Thanks.

Likes 256bits and Rive
Biology news on Phys.org
Which plants?
Some like low light levels.
Components of outer space light (like UV) may be injurious to some are all plants.
You might try looking through the NASA website. They have a lot of obscure space associated info there.

If you are interested in just light levels, some horticulturalist has probably looked at higher levels of illumination.

dansmith170 said:
TL;DR Summary: Can plants in outer space grow bigger because of increased solar irradiance?

My question is, does more sunlight mean larger plants?
I think the first few experiments on this question did not end well for the plants...

1690415916951.png

https://www.fastcompany.com/3057288...m-near-las-vegas-provides-power-even-at-night

• Haha
Likes phinds
BillTre said:
Which plants?
Some like low light levels.
Components of outer space light (like UV) may be injurious to some are all plants.
You might try looking through the NASA website. They have a lot of obscure space associated info there.

If you are interested in just light levels, some horticulturalist has probably looked at higher levels of illumination.
Thanks Bill, I'll see what I can find on NASA's website. I did try to research already, but without many results. I'll take another look. If anyone finds any papers on this topic, please post.

Likes 256bits and BillTre
dansmith170 said:
My question is, does more sunlight mean larger plants?
I can't say much about the gravity part, but this spring I've ruined a batch of seedlings with a slightly stronger growth light.
It was 'cold' light (LED), so they were not burnt. It was just the amount of light.

Ps.: giving it a bit more thought... Decent part of that extra intensity is pretty dangerous (short wavelength: UV and worse) radiation. Sunlight 'outside' is a big sterilizer, and once you got rid of all the nasty parts, you will be back around the 1000 W/m2 range.
Also, you'll have lot of problem with the length of daily irradiation what's used as a calendar for many plants. Same for the colour of light...

So, I would give the question a solid 'no', unless some serious genetic engineering got involved, like sunscreen-producing and such o0)

Ps of Ps: after giving even more thoughts to this interesting problem, if it's me I would not even try to grow anything 'out there' in direct sunlight. It would be all about PV panels outside and growth lights inside :doh:

Last edited:
Likes Laroxe, 256bits and Bystander
dansmith170 said:
TL;DR Summary: Can plants in outer space grow bigger because of increased solar irradiance?

Let's assume that the plant has adequate water, CO2, soil nutrients, and that we can somehow regulate the temperature to an ideal temperature for the plant.
Basic assumption I guess.
But how would one know the 'ideal' water, CO2, nutrients, temperature that would be necessary for the plant with added light.

Plants are finicky.
Too much water and they could become susceptible to fungal diseases.
Too dry and they can become stunted and seed early.
Of course, exceptions apply - ie water lilies grow in water for example.

Here is an interesting thought - too much sunlight and the plant becomes too hot.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ed...-bolting-what-it-means-when-a-plant-bolts.htm

BillTre said:
Which plants?
Rightly so.

1. Can plants grow in outer space?

Yes, plants can grow in outer space with the right conditions and support. NASA has conducted numerous experiments on growing plants in space, and have successfully grown a variety of plants including lettuce, peas, and radishes.

2. Will plants grow bigger in outer space?

There is evidence that plants can grow bigger in outer space due to the absence of gravity. Without the constant pull of gravity, plants can grow taller and have longer roots. However, this also depends on other factors such as the availability of nutrients and light.

3. How do plants adapt to the conditions in outer space?

Plants have to adapt to the microgravity environment in space in order to survive and grow. They do this by changing their growth patterns, such as growing towards the light source instead of upwards. They also have to develop stronger stems and roots to support themselves without the help of gravity.

4. What challenges do plants face in outer space?

Plants in outer space face several challenges, including the lack of gravity, limited space, and exposure to high levels of radiation. They also have to deal with changes in temperature and humidity, as well as the absence of wind for pollination. These challenges require special adaptations and support systems for plants to thrive in space.

5. Can plants grown in outer space be brought back to Earth?

Yes, plants grown in outer space can be brought back to Earth. NASA has successfully brought back plants from space missions for further study. However, the plants may have undergone changes in their growth and development due to the different conditions in space, and may not be suitable for consumption.