How much force does the 4kg block exert on the 6kg block?

In summary: The force given to the whole system is 13N, so the force on the 1kg block is 14.182N.In summary, the 1kg, 4kg, and 6kg blocks are lined up on a frictionless table and are pushed forward by a 13N force applied to the 1kg block. The force exerted by the 4kg block on the 6kg block is 7.092N, and the force exerted by the 4kg block on the 1kg block is 14.182N. The equations F=ma and F=uk(n) can be used to solve for the forces and acceleration in this system.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

Blocks with masses of 1kg, 4kg, and 6kg are lined up in a row on a frictionless table. All three are pushed forward by a 13N force applied to the 1kg block. a.) How much force does the 4kg block exert on the 6kg block? b.) How much force does the 4kg block exert on the 1kg block?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=uk(n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what's all included in the free body diagrams. I know gravitational force is pushing down on all three blocks, and I know a normal force is pushing up on all three blocks. I also know that a force is pushing on the 1kg block.

Physics news on Phys.org
First take the 3 blocks as one system... write the [tex]\Sigma{F} = ma[/tex] equation for this system... that will allow you to solve for acceleration.

For part a), examine the freebody diagram of the 6kg block... write the [tex]\Sigma{F} = ma[/tex] equation... you can solve for the force you need... you already have acceleration from the first part.

For part b), examine the freebody diagram of the 1kg block... do the same type of thing as with part a).

For the acceleration, I got 1.182 m/s^2. For part A, I got the force to be 7.092. I'm still having trouble with part B though. The equation would be -F = m(ax), which would give -1.182.

aligass2004 said:
For the acceleration, I got 1.182 m/s^2. For part A, I got the force to be 7.092. I'm still having trouble with part B though. The equation would be -F = m(ax), which would give -1.182.

What are the forces acting on the 1kg block? The vector sum of these forces = max

I got it. I completely forgot to add the force given to the whole system.

1. How is force measured in this scenario?

Force is typically measured in Newtons (N) in this scenario. One Newton is equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a 1kg mass at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

2. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. How do we determine the acceleration of the 4kg and 6kg blocks?

The acceleration of an object can be determined by dividing the force acting on it by its mass. In this scenario, the force exerted by the 4kg block on the 6kg block is divided by the total mass (4kg + 6kg) to find the acceleration.

4. Is the force exerted by the 4kg block on the 6kg block the same as the force exerted by the 6kg block on the 4kg block?

Yes, according to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted by the 4kg block on the 6kg block is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the 6kg block on the 4kg block.

5. What factors can affect the force exerted by the 4kg block on the 6kg block?

The force exerted by the 4kg block on the 6kg block can be affected by the mass of the blocks, the distance between them, and any external forces acting on the blocks, such as friction or gravity.