Maximizing Force in Simple Harmonic Motion

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary, two masses (1 kg and 4 kg) connected to a vertical spring of angular frequency 25 rad/s and amplitude 1.6 cm exert a maximum force of 60 N on the floor. The weight of the upper block (1 kg) should not be included in the calculation as it is not directly subject to the force. The correct method is to calculate the spring compression using the equilibrium position and then add the weight of the lower block to determine the maximum force.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Two bodies of masses 1 kg and 4 kg are connected to a vertical spring, as shown in the figure. The smaller mass executes simple harmonic motion of angular frequency 25 rad/s, and amplitude 1.6 cm while the bigger mass remains stationary on the ground. The maximum force exerted by the system on the floor is (take g=10ms−2)
99887.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ω = √k/m
So, k = mω2 = 1×252 = 625
The maximum force will be exerted on the floor when the 1kg mass is at the lowest position, as the spring will be highly compressed and will push the bottom block.
So, total force on ground = 4g + kA + 1g
= 40 + 625*1.6*10-2 + 10
= 60 N

Now, someone asked me why I was adding the weight of the upper block ie. 1g as it isn't directly interacting with the 4 kg block. Only the spring force (and weight of 4kg block) are acting on the 4kg block, so the normal reaction should only depend on the two but not on the upper block. I don't know how to justify this even though I intuitively feel that the weight of the 1kg block should be added as it is part of the system. Can somebody provide a more rigorous explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a common mistake to include forces as acting on a body which is not directly subject to the force. It is certainly the case that all you should count here is the weight of the lower block and the spring compression. But, have you correctly calculated the spring compression force? You multiplied k by the amplitude.
Suppose the upper block is only executing very small gentle oscillations. Will the spring ever be under tension? What will your kA method calculate as the compression in the spring when the upper block is at its highest point?

Thank you! Got it.
The equilibrium position is itself shifted. Hence, when the system is in equilibrium, assuming that the spring is compressed by x0
kx0 = mg (m=1kg)
When it goes further down, i.e to the lowest position, the spring force on the block is
F = k(A+x0)
= kA + kx0
= kA + mg
This is why I was getting the right answer even though I hadn't really thought about it well.

erisedk said:
Thank you! Got it.
The equilibrium position is itself shifted. Hence, when the system is in equilibrium, assuming that the spring is compressed by x0
kx0 = mg (m=1kg)
When it goes further down, i.e to the lowest position, the spring force on the block is
F = k(A+x0)
= kA + kx0
= kA + mg
This is why I was getting the right answer even though I hadn't really thought about it well.
Well done.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth between two points along a straight line, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It occurs when a restoring force proportional to the displacement acts on an object.

2. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x(t) = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Uniform Circular Motion?

The main difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Uniform Circular Motion is the type of path the object follows. In SHM, the object moves back and forth along a straight line, while in Uniform Circular Motion, the object moves in a circular path at a constant speed.

4. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion in everyday life include the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, the motion of a mass-spring system, and the swinging of a child on a swing.

5. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

Simple Harmonic Motion is related to energy through the conservation of energy principle. In SHM, the total energy of the system remains constant, with the potential energy being at its maximum at the turning points and the kinetic energy being at its maximum at the equilibrium point.