How much ice must melt at 0 deg. C to gain 6 g of mass?

In summary, the amount of ice that must melt to gain 6 g of mass at 0 deg. C can be calculated using the formula: mass of ice melted = (6 g) / (density of ice). The density of ice can vary depending on factors such as impurities, pressure, and temperature, but at 0 deg. C it is approximately 0.9167 g/cm^3. The density of ice changes as the temperature changes, with a lower temperature resulting in a higher density. The mass of ice does not change when it melts at 0 deg. C, as the total mass of a substance remains constant during a phase change. This calculation can also be applied to other substances besides ice, as long
PhyzicsOfHockey
1. Homework Statement
This is all that is given.

How much ice must melt at 0 deg. C to gain 6 g of mass?

2. Homework Equations
I don't know any Relevant equations to this problem.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried leaving mass as a variable and using Latent Heat Energys too. I have no idea what to set equal to what because i don't have equations to work with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem has to do with the E=mc^2 formula. The energy is the energy absorbed from the surroundings in the process of melting.

1. How do you calculate the amount of ice that must melt to gain 6 g of mass at 0 deg. C?

The amount of ice that must melt to gain 6 g of mass at 0 deg. C can be calculated using the formula: mass of ice melted = (6 g) / (density of ice). The density of ice is approximately 0.9167 g/cm^3 at 0 deg. C. This means that approximately 6.55 cm^3 of ice must melt to gain 6 g of mass at 0 deg. C.

2. Can the amount of ice that must melt to gain 6 g of mass at 0 deg. C vary?

Yes, the amount of ice that must melt to gain 6 g of mass at 0 deg. C can vary depending on the density of the ice. The density of ice can vary depending on factors such as impurities, pressure, and temperature. However, at 0 deg. C, the density of ice is relatively consistent.

3. Is the density of ice the same at all temperatures?

No, the density of ice changes as the temperature changes. As the temperature decreases, the density of ice increases. This is why ice cubes float in liquid water, as they are less dense than the water. At 0 deg. C, the density of ice is 0.9167 g/cm^3.

4. Does the mass of the ice change when it melts at 0 deg. C?

No, the mass of the ice does not change when it melts at 0 deg. C. This is because the mass of a substance remains constant, even when it changes form. In this case, the water molecules in the ice rearrange and become less tightly packed, but the total mass remains the same.

5. Can this calculation be applied to other substances besides ice?

Yes, this calculation can be applied to other substances besides ice. It is a basic principle of physics that the mass of a substance remains constant during a phase change. So, if you know the density of a substance at a specific temperature, you can use this formula to calculate the amount of the substance that must melt to gain a specific mass.