How Much Light Intensity Is Needed to Suspend a Sheet of Paper?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
lunus
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


For a science project, you would like to horizontally suspend an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of black paper in a vertical beam of light whose dimensions exactly match the paper.

If the mass of the sheet is 1.0 g, what light intensity will you need?

Homework Equations



Equation I used: F = IA/c


The Attempt at a Solution



F = 9.8x10^-3 N
A = 6.03 m^2
c = 3.00x10^8 m/s^2

I = Fc/A

I = 4.87x10^7 W/m^2

This is my attempt at the solution. I think its correct but I would like to double check. I would appreciate any help. thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lunus said:

Homework Statement


For a science project, you would like to horizontally suspend an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of black paper in a vertical beam of light whose dimensions exactly match the paper.

If the mass of the sheet is 1.0 g, what light intensity will you need?

Homework Equations



Equation I used: F = IA/c


The Attempt at a Solution



F = 9.8x10^-3 N
A = 6.03 m^2
c = 3.00x10^8 m/s^2

I = Fc/A

I = 4.87x10^7 W/m^2

This is my attempt at the solution. I think its correct but I would like to double check. I would appreciate any help. thank you

What's the area of that sheet of paper?
 
lunus said:
A = 6.03x10^-2 m^2

The area i had above was a typo

OK, no problem then.

Except that maybe it will burn up?