Driving San Diego to LA: 1h 10min Longer on a Fri Afternoon

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, when driving on the freeway between San Diego and Los Angeles at an average speed of $105 km/h \, (65 mi/h)$, the trip takes $2$ hours and $20$ minutes. However, on a Friday afternoon with heavy traffic, the same distance can take $1$ hour and $10$ minutes longer when driving at an average speed of only $70 km/h \, (43 mi/h)$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
2-3 You normally drive on the freeway between San Diego and Los Angel es at an average speed of
$105 \, km/h \, (65 \, mi/h)$ and the trip takes $2h$ and $20 \, min$
On a Friday afternoon, however, heavy traffic slows you down and you drive the same distance at an average speed of only $70 km/h \, (43 mi/h)$
How much longer does it take?
\begin{align*}
d_1&=r_1t_1=
\dfrac{65\,mi}{\cancel{ h }}
\cdot 2.33\, \cancel{h}=151.45\,mi\\
t_2&=\dfrac{d_1}{r_2}=
151.45\,\cancel{mi}\cdot\dfrac{h}{43\,\cancel{mi}}=3.52\,h\\
t_\Delta&=t_2-t_1=
3.52h-2.33h
\approx 1.19\, h \approx 1\, h\, 10\, min
\end{align*}ok I think this is correct but was not sure about the units how to use them in process
since there is 2 sets of time and rate.
also this cancel control kinda sucks should be same angle or straight and red maybe.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, if you drive at 65 mi/hr for 2 and 1/3 hours, then you have driven (65)(7/3)= 151 and 2/3 miles. That is the distance from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Driving that same distance at 42 mi/hr, will take a time of 151 and 2/3 divided by 42= 3 and 25/42 hours.

Notice that, to two decimal places, 25/42= 0.59 not 0.52. I prefer not to round until the end, if[/b that is necessary. Here, the data was given as a fraction so I would think it better to leave the answer as a fraction: 3 and 25/42 minus 2 and 1/3= 3 and 25/42- 2 and 14/42= 1 and 11/42 hours.

Yes, your use of the "units" is correct.

$r_1t_1 = r_2t_2 \implies t_2 = \dfrac{r_1t_1}{r_2} = \dfrac{(105 \, km/hr)(7/3 \, hr)}{70 \, km/hr} = \dfrac{3}{2} \cdot \dfrac{7}{3} \, hr = \dfrac{7}{2} \, hr = 3 \, hrs \, 30 \, min$

$3 \, hrs \, 30 \, min \, - \, 2 \, hrs \, 20 \, min \, = \, 1 \, hr \, 10 \, min$

1. How much longer does it take to drive from San Diego to LA on a Friday afternoon compared to other days?

On average, it takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes longer to drive from San Diego to LA on a Friday afternoon compared to other days. This is due to heavier traffic and potential delays on the road.

2. What time should I avoid driving from San Diego to LA on a Friday afternoon?

The peak traffic hours on Fridays for this route are typically between 3pm and 7pm. It is best to avoid driving during these times if possible to minimize your travel time.

3. Are there any alternate routes I can take to avoid the traffic on a Friday afternoon?

While there are alternate routes available, they may not necessarily save you time. It is best to check real-time traffic updates and plan your route accordingly. Some popular alternate routes include taking the I-15 to the I-215 or taking the I-5 to the I-405.

4. Is there a toll road that can help me avoid traffic on a Friday afternoon?

Yes, the 73 toll road can be used to bypass some of the traffic on the I-5. However, there is a toll fee and it may not always save you time depending on the traffic conditions.

5. How can I make my drive from San Diego to LA on a Friday afternoon more efficient?

To make your drive more efficient, it is recommended to carpool or use public transportation if possible. You can also plan your trip outside of peak traffic hours or use real-time traffic apps to find the best route. Additionally, make sure to leave with enough time to account for potential delays.