How much of a head start does B need to win the race?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NotASmurf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Head Race
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
NotASmurf
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
Hey all. Simple problem here. 2 people are running at 2 different speeds in a race 50m long (A at 5 m/s B at 3 m/s), A is clearly going to win, How much of a head start would B need to win?
(This isn't a homework problem I'm just wondering how long I have to wait for my movie to buffer before I should start watching it.)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
let the headstart be denoted by' x' and time taken to complete the race be 't'. Note that time will be same for A and B. Now, using the fact that
Distance traveled = Speed* time, we have
For A, 50= 5*t
For B, 50=x + 3*t
Solve these to get x=20, t=10
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: NotASmurf