• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Help! Course Selection: Analogue Electronics versus Digital Electronics

• Courses
  • Thread starter dacruick
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I am a student at the University of Waterloo and am entering my 3rd year of my BSc.

I have an elective this semester and I thought I would take an electronics course. I feel like it would be useful for a bunch of things.

In terms of my future career, and what skills would be applicable for me, and attractive to companies, which course should I take? Analogue Electronics or Digital Electronics.

Here are the course descriptions:
Analogue Electronics: p and n materials, pn diodes, junction and FET transistors. Transistor amplifiers and their equivalent circuits. Operational amplifiers. Oscillators and power supplies. Computer simulation of devices and circuits.
Digital Electronics: Logic gates, flip-flops and shift registers. Binary numbers and Boolean algebra. An introduction to microprocessors. This will include arithmetic logic units, parallel input/output ports, assembly language and a number of examples

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Hi,

I am a student at the University of Waterloo and am entering my 3rd year of my BSc.

I have an elective this semester and I thought I would take an electronics course. I feel like it would be useful for a bunch of things.

In terms of my future career, and what skills would be applicable for me, and attractive to companies, which course should I take? Analogue Electronics or Digital Electronics.

Here are the course descriptions:
Analogue Electronics: p and n materials, pn diodes, junction and FET transistors. Transistor amplifiers and their equivalent circuits. Operational amplifiers. Oscillators and power supplies. Computer simulation of devices and circuits.
Digital Electronics: Logic gates, flip-flops and shift registers. Binary numbers and Boolean algebra. An introduction to microprocessors. This will include arithmetic logic units, parallel input/output ports, assembly language and a number of examples

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Analog isn't required? That seems like the bread and butter electronics course for EE's to me, if you're not doing a computer engineering track I would stick with analog but they might organize things differently in your school than in American schools.

Analog isn't required? That seems like the bread and butter electronics course for EE's to me, if you're not doing a computer engineering track I would stick with analog but they might organize things differently in your school than in American schools.
I would second that.

Either way, as an EE, you would have to know both, but the analog electronicss course is more essential.

Reminds me of Adel Sedra, the co-author of the legendary microelectronics book who is at Waterloo.