Help Course Selection: Analogue Electronics versus Digital Electronics

In summary, the student is seeking advice on which electronics course to take for their elective. They are considering Analog Electronics and Digital Electronics, and provide the course descriptions for both. Some input from others is appreciated, with one person suggesting that Analog Electronics may be more essential for an EE. Mention is also made of a renowned co-author of a microelectronics book at the University of Waterloo.
dacruick
Hi,

I am a student at the University of Waterloo and am entering my 3rd year of my BSc.

I have an elective this semester and I thought I would take an electronics course. I feel like it would be useful for a bunch of things.

In terms of my future career, and what skills would be applicable for me, and attractive to companies, which course should I take? Analogue Electronics or Digital Electronics.

Here are the course descriptions:
Analogue Electronics: p and n materials, pn diodes, junction and FET transistors. Transistor amplifiers and their equivalent circuits. Operational amplifiers. Oscillators and power supplies. Computer simulation of devices and circuits.
Digital Electronics: Logic gates, flip-flops and shift registers. Binary numbers and Boolean algebra. An introduction to microprocessors. This will include arithmetic logic units, parallel input/output ports, assembly language and a number of examples

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dacruick said:
Hi,

I am a student at the University of Waterloo and am entering my 3rd year of my BSc.

I have an elective this semester and I thought I would take an electronics course. I feel like it would be useful for a bunch of things.

In terms of my future career, and what skills would be applicable for me, and attractive to companies, which course should I take? Analogue Electronics or Digital Electronics.

Here are the course descriptions:
Analogue Electronics: p and n materials, pn diodes, junction and FET transistors. Transistor amplifiers and their equivalent circuits. Operational amplifiers. Oscillators and power supplies. Computer simulation of devices and circuits.
Digital Electronics: Logic gates, flip-flops and shift registers. Binary numbers and Boolean algebra. An introduction to microprocessors. This will include arithmetic logic units, parallel input/output ports, assembly language and a number of examples

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Analog isn't required? That seems like the bread and butter electronics course for EE's to me, if you're not doing a computer engineering track I would stick with analog but they might organize things differently in your school than in American schools.

clope023 said:
Analog isn't required? That seems like the bread and butter electronics course for EE's to me, if you're not doing a computer engineering track I would stick with analog but they might organize things differently in your school than in American schools.

I would second that.

Either way, as an EE, you would have to know both, but the analog electronicss course is more essential.

Reminds me of Adel Sedra, the co-author of the legendary microelectronics book who is at Waterloo.

1. What is the difference between analogue and digital electronics?

Analogue electronics deals with signals that vary continuously, while digital electronics deals with signals that are discrete and have only two states: on and off (1 and 0).

2. Which course is more relevant to modern technology?

Both analogue and digital electronics are equally relevant in modern technology. However, digital electronics is more prevalent due to its widespread use in computers, smartphones, and other digital devices.

3. Which course is more difficult?

This can vary depending on the individual student's strengths and interests. Some may find analogue electronics more challenging due to its complex mathematical concepts, while others may find digital electronics more difficult due to its abstract nature.

4. Can I take both courses?

Yes, it is possible to take both courses if they are offered at your institution. However, it is important to consider the workload and whether it is feasible for you to take on both courses simultaneously.

5. Which course is better for a career in engineering?

Both courses can lead to a successful career in engineering. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career in fields such as telecommunications, signal processing, or power systems, then analogue electronics would be more beneficial. If you are interested in fields such as computer engineering, digital electronics would be more relevant.