Comparing Courses for Postgrad Prep: Microfabrication vs Circuit Design

In summary, a student is seeking advice on which of two courses to take for exploring their options in a potential postgrad program and career in electrical engineering and physics. The first course focuses on micro- and nanofabrication processes and hands-on lab work, while the second course delves into electronic circuit design and the use of microcontrollers and programmable logic devices. Some suggest the first course as it covers unique and valuable skills, while the second course may be easier to learn independently.
Sferics
Hi all,

I am currently deciding between two courses for the coming semester. I am a sophomore math and physics major, but contemplating an electrical engineering/physics postgrad program and possible career. As such, I would like to try out a more applied, lab-type course in order to explore my options and take a bit of a respite from theory courses.

Which of these two courses do you think would give a more useful skill set for undertaking meaningful future undergraduate research and/or industry internships?

1) Introduction to micro- and nanofabrication processes used for photonic and electronic devices. Students use state-of-the-art cleanroom to fabricate transistors and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Lecures on fabrication processes, including lithography, deposition, etching, oxidation, implantation, diffusion and electrical characterization.

2) A lab-intensive introduction to electronic circuit design. Develops circuit intuition and debugging skills through daily hands-on lab exercises, each preceded by class discussion, with minimal use of mathematics and physics. Moves quickly from passive circuits, to discrete transistors, then concentrates on operational amplifiers, used to make a variety of circuits including integrators, oscillators, regulators, and filters. The digital half of the course treats analog-digital interfacing, emphasizes the use of microcontrollers and programmable logic devices (PLDs).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice?

Bump...

I am almost entirely unqualified to answer this, but I have heard second hand that circuits knowledge beyond first year material is incredibly useful for experimental physics.

I vote for number 1. Knowing number the stuff from number 1 is useful and not something you can generally get from a class or text. 2 seems like something that may be easier to pick up on your own.

1. What is the difference between microfabrication and circuit design?

Microfabrication and circuit design are two distinct fields in engineering. Microfabrication involves the creation of tiny structures and devices on a microscale, while circuit design focuses on the design and implementation of electronic circuits for various applications.

2. Which course is better for someone interested in pursuing a career in nanotechnology?

Both courses provide valuable skills for a career in nanotechnology. Microfabrication would be more beneficial for someone interested in the manufacturing and fabrication aspect of nanotechnology, while circuit design would be more suitable for someone interested in the design and development of nanoelectronics.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these courses?

The prerequisites for these courses may vary depending on the institution offering them. Generally, a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and basic engineering principles is recommended for both microfabrication and circuit design courses.

4. Which course would be more suitable for someone with a background in computer science?

Circuit design would be more suitable for someone with a background in computer science as it involves the design and analysis of electronic circuits, which often require programming skills. However, microfabrication also involves computer-aided design and simulation, so it may also be a viable option for someone with a computer science background.

5. What are the career opportunities for graduates of these courses?

Graduates of both microfabrication and circuit design courses have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as semiconductor manufacturing, electronics, telecommunications, and nanotechnology. They can work as engineers, researchers, or consultants in these fields.