How much steam to raise vessel temperature from 0 to 28 C?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of steam that must condense inside a thermally insulated vessel containing 2.40kg of water and 0.450kg of ice at 0.0 C, in order to raise the temperature to 28.0 C. The equations used are Q=mc∆t and Q=mL, with the values for water heat of fusion, water heat of vaporization, and specific heat of water given. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the energy required to melt the ice, heat the resulting water to 28 C, and vaporize it to steam, and then subtracting the energy released when the steam condenses to water at 100 C and cools to 28
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

A vessel whose walls are thermally insulated contains 2.40kg of water and 0.450kg of ice, all at a temperature of 0.0 C. The outlet of a tube leading from a boiler in which water is boiling at atmospheric pressure is inserted into the water. How many grams of steam must condense inside the vessel (also at atmospheric pressure) to raise the temperature of the system to 28.0 C? you can ignore the heat transferred to the container.

Homework Equations

Q=mc∆t
Q=mL
Water heat of fusion - 334000
Water heat of vaporization - 2256000
specific heat of water - 4190

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure my logic is right but my answer does not match with the book answer. I think the book may be wrong... The answer in the book is 190g.

What I did was:
Q(melting ice) + Q(water + melted ice from 0 C to 28 C) = Q(vaporization)
(0.45kg)(334000) + (0.45kg+2.4kg)(4190)(28K) = m(2256000)

I solved for m and I get 214.8g.

Am I doing anything wrong? If so what?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
JustinLiang said:

Homework Statement

A vessel whose walls are thermally insulated contains 2.40kg of water and 0.450kg of ice, all at a temperature of 0.0 C. The outlet of a tube leading from a boiler in which water is boiling at atmospheric pressure is inserted into the water. How many grams of steam must condense inside the vessel (also at atmospheric pressure) to raise the temperature of the system to 28.0 C? you can ignore the heat transferred to the container.

Homework Equations

Q=mc∆t
Q=mL
Water heat of fusion - 334000
Water heat of vaporization - 2256000
specific heat of water - 4190

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure my logic is right but my answer does not match with the book answer. I think the book may be wrong... The answer in the book is 190g.

What I did was:
Q(melting ice) + Q(water + melted ice from 0 C to 28 C) = Q(vaporization)
(0.45kg)(334000) + (0.45kg+2.4kg)(4190)(28K) = m(2256000)

I solved for m and I get 214.8g.

Am I doing anything wrong? If so what?

Thanks.

Don't forget that once the steam has condensed from steam at 100 C to water at 100 C, then that water at 100 C has to cool to 28 C.

I don't see anything changing temperature by 72 C in your calculation.

1. How does the amount of steam affect the temperature change of a vessel?

The amount of steam required to raise the temperature of a vessel from 0 to 28 degrees Celsius depends on the specific heat capacity of the material of the vessel and the heat of vaporization of water. This means that different vessels will require different amounts of steam to reach the same temperature.

2. Can the type of vessel affect the amount of steam needed for a temperature change?

Yes, the type of vessel can affect the amount of steam needed for a temperature change. Materials with higher specific heat capacities will require more steam to raise their temperature compared to materials with lower specific heat capacities. Additionally, the shape and size of the vessel can also impact the amount of steam needed.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the amount of steam needed to raise the temperature of a vessel?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the amount of steam needed to raise the temperature of a vessel. It involves using the specific heat capacity of the material, the heat of vaporization of water, and the initial and final temperatures of the vessel. This formula is known as the heat transfer equation.

4. Can the surrounding environment affect the amount of steam needed for a temperature change?

Yes, the surrounding environment can play a role in the amount of steam needed for a temperature change. If the vessel is placed in a colder environment, it will require more steam to reach the desired temperature compared to if it is in a warmer environment.

5. What are some potential factors that could impact the accuracy of calculating the amount of steam needed for a temperature change?

Some potential factors that could impact the accuracy of calculating the amount of steam needed for a temperature change include the efficiency of the heating source, heat loss to the surroundings, and variations in the specific heat capacity of the vessel's material. Additionally, any errors in measuring the initial and final temperatures of the vessel can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.