How much time is needed for plate tectonics to subdue everything?

• Thread starter Marco Masi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plate Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the age of fossil records and the process of plate tectonics. The speaker is confused about how fossil records can be as old as 3.8 billion years if it takes about 500 million years for all Earth's crust to be subducted. The other person explains that this understanding is mistaken, as only around 95% of subduction is oceanic crust and there are also areas of collision. The conversation ends with a mention of a recent discovery of the oldest known piece of oceanic crust, estimated to be around 340 million years old.
Marco Masi
I read of fossile records as old as 3.8 billion years. How can this be? Since I thought that it takes about 500 mio. years for plate tectonics to force all the Earth crust into the subduction zones into the mantle. No evidence should be left. I'm confused...

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You really think tectonic activity is 100% efficient?

Marco Masi said:
I read of fossile records as old as 3.8 billion years. How can this be? Since I thought that it takes about 500 mio. years for plate tectonics to force all the Earth crust into the subduction zones into the mantle. No evidence should be left. I'm confused...

you are coming from a mistaken understanding.
~ 95% of subduction is oceanic crust NOT continental crust

There are very few places around the world where continental crust is being subducted or anything similar to that. One of those places is the Indian sub-continent as it pushes into the Euro-Asian continent.
There is a mixture of subduction and just straight out collision.Dave

Even if the mean turnover time were of the order of 500 Ma, this is to a large extent a statistical process. I.e. there is lot of material which is subduced earlier and some material which is not subduced at all.

1. How do scientists measure the time needed for plate tectonics to subdue everything?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the time it takes for plate tectonics to subdue everything, including radiometric dating of rocks and analysis of magnetic stripes on the seafloor.

2. Is there a set amount of time for plate tectonics to subdue everything?

No, there is no set amount of time for plate tectonics to subdue everything. The rate of plate tectonic activity can vary greatly depending on factors such as the type of plate boundary and the presence of hotspots.

3. How long has plate tectonics been active on Earth?

Plate tectonics has been active on Earth for approximately 3.2 billion years. However, the specific mechanisms and movements of tectonic plates have evolved over time.

4. Can plate tectonics completely subdue everything on Earth?

It is unlikely that plate tectonics will completely subdue everything on Earth. While it is a powerful force that can cause significant changes to the Earth's surface, it is also constantly balanced by other geological processes such as erosion and weathering.

5. Are there any other factors besides plate tectonics that can subdue everything on Earth?

Yes, there are other factors that can subdue everything on Earth, such as large-scale volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, and climate change. These events can also greatly impact plate tectonics and its effects on the Earth's surface.