How much work does the fish do?

• Thread starter Rappaccini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a conversation about a creek with a current and a fish circling a bait situated at the origin was summarized. The vector field describing the current was given, as well as the fish's motion in terms of a vector-valued function. The question of how much work the fish does was posed, and the conversation delved into finding the integrand and the dot product of the force vector function and velocity function. The conversation also mentioned some trouble with differentiating the velocity function and the discontinuity of the force times velocity function due to an imaginary component. A half-ass conclusion was made about the first half of the fish's journey with the help of a computer.
Rappaccini
Let's say there's a creek.

Down in the creek, there is a current.

The vector field that describes this current is

Cur[x y z] = [(ðy)^x]i + [(y^4)+(xyz)]j + (2z + e^z)k

Nota bene:
ð = pi

The force is in Newtons.

X, Y, and Z are the spatial dimensions in meters, whose origin is a piece of bait in this case.
You see, there's also this guy who's fishin' in the creek. His bait's down there, situated on the origin.

A fish sees it, and circles around it one complete time. The fish is unsure during this period, and maintains a distance of one meter.

This motion takes exactly seconds for the fish.
So, the motion can be described as a vector-valued function of t, time (sec.)

Fis(t) = [cos(t)]i + [sin(t)]j + [0]k

How much work is done by the fish?

Ok... so I made this problem up... that's why it's so weird. :)

I need help setting it up. I know I need to use a line integral.

The upper limit, t, in seconds, will be , while the lower will obviously be 0.

So, first off, I need to find the integrand, which is the dot product of Cur[Fis(t)] and Fis'(t).

To begin

Cur[Fis(t)] = [(ð*sin(t))^cos(t)]i + [sin(t)^4]j + 1k

But here's some trouble for me... I'm not certain on how to differentiate Fis(t).

Tell me, O somebody-who-is-doubtlessly-wiser-than-I, would

Fis'(t) = [-sin(t)]i + [cos(t)]j + 0k ?

If that is so, I'll continue to find the dot product, and then begin the actual integration.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since no one seems willing to help right now, I'll continue the calculation, whether or not it's right so far.

Cur[Fis(t)] = [(ðsin(t))^(cos(t))]i + [sin(t)^4]j + 1k

Fis'(t) = [-sin(t)]i + [cos(t)]j + 0k

Therefore,

Cur[Fis(t)] * Fis'(t) = -sin(t)(ðsin(t))^(cos(t)) + (cos(t))(sin(t)^4)

So...

∫ -sin(t)(ðsin(t))^(cos(t)) + cos(t)sin(t)^4 dt

from 0 to 2ð

As Shmoe, of my native forum, informed me, the force vector function along the curve Fis has an imaginary i component part of the time.

The 'force * velocity' function(t) isn't continuous, due to that.

Well... it's continuous on the domain (0, pi).

With the help of my computer, I can integrate on that domain and determine half of the work the fish does, I guess.
It says approximately -2.1927, which is correct as far as I can tell.

Half-Ass Conclusion:
During the first half of his journey, the fish is helped by the current. He is helped 2.1927 Newton-meters.

Now... is there any way to get the rest of the work?

Last edited:

FAQ: How much work does the fish do?

1. How is work defined in terms of a fish?

Work is defined as the force applied by the fish multiplied by the distance it moves. In other words, it is the energy exerted by the fish as it moves through water.

2. Is work done by a fish considered mechanical work?

Yes, work done by a fish is considered mechanical work since it involves the application of a force to move an object (the water).

3. Why is it important to measure the work done by a fish?

Measuring the work done by a fish can provide insights into its energy expenditure and overall fitness. It can also help researchers understand the efficiency and performance of different fish species in their natural habitats.

4. How does the size and shape of a fish affect the amount of work it can do?

The size and shape of a fish can greatly impact the amount of work it can do. Generally, larger and more streamlined fish are able to generate more force and move through water more efficiently, resulting in a greater amount of work being done.

5. Can a fish do negative work?

No, a fish cannot do negative work. Negative work is defined as the force being applied in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in a decrease in energy. Since a fish is always applying a force in the direction of its movement, it can only do positive work.

Back