How Much Work Is Done in Adiabatic Compression of Gas?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
v_pino
Messages
156
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


When a volume 10^-3 m^3 of a certain gas at a pressure of 1 atm undergoes a reversible adiabatic compression to half its volume, its pressure rises by a factor of three. The internal energy of the gas is given by E=3PV, where P is the pressure and V is the volume. By making use of the first law of thermodynamics, or otherwise, calculate how much work is done on the gas to perform the compression.

Answer: 152 J

Homework Equations


(1) I tried writing E=E(V,T) or E=E(P,T).

(2) First law of thermodynamics: dE=dQ+dW

The Attempt at a Solution


dQ = 0 for reversible process.
I differentiated (1) but had no way of getting T.

Am I on the right track?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
v_pino said:

Homework Statement


When a volume 10^-3 m^3 of a certain gas at a pressure of 1 atm undergoes a reversible adiabatic compression to half its volume, its pressure rises by a factor of three. The internal energy of the gas is given by E=3PV, where P is the pressure and V is the volume. By making use of the first law of thermodynamics, or otherwise, calculate how much work is done on the gas to perform the compression.

Answer: 152 J

Homework Equations


(1) I tried writing E=E(V,T) or E=E(P,T).

(2) First law of thermodynamics: dE=dQ+dW

The Attempt at a Solution


dQ = 0 for reversible process.
I differentiated (1) but had no way of getting T.

Am I on the right track?
Yes. You know that there was no heat input into the gas, because the process is adiabatic. Therefore the change in internal energy of the gas is entirely due to work done on the gas:

[tex]dE=dW[/tex]

Applying this statement, along with the equation given in the problem should be enough to get you to the answer.
 
I'm getting 150J instead of 152J as given in the answer. I substituted V1 and P1 into equation of E to get E1 and substituted V2 and P2 into equation of E to get E2.

E1 = 300 and E2 = 450.

Subtracting E1 from E2 gives 150J.
 
v_pino said:
I'm getting 150J instead of 152J as given in the answer. I substituted V1 and P1 into equation of E to get E1 and substituted V2 and P2 into equation of E to get E2.

E1 = 300 and E2 = 450.

Subtracting E1 from E2 gives 150J.

That's fine. You're doing the problem correctly. You're just rounding. Thus, the answer you get is rounded. I compute, using the same method:

E1=303.98J E2=455.96J Thus, W~152J