1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much work is done when moving a charge?

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Figure 24-60, we move a particle of charge +2e in from infinity to the x axis. How much work do we do? Distance D is 6.30 m.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6987/fig2460.th.gif [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    U = kQq/r
    U=-W

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok since there's two stationary charges (2e and e), I figured you could use the superpositioning principle and claculate the work done to move the 2e from infinity to the x-axis against the stationary 2e plus the work done to move it against the stationary e charge. Summing them would give the answer.

U1= (k)(2e)(2e)/(2d) = 7.233E-29 J

U2 = (k)(e)(2e)/d = 7.23E-29 J

U(total) = 7.23E-29 + 7.23E-29 = 1.4466E-28 J

U = -Work
    1.4466E-28 = -Work
    Work = -1.4466E-28 J

Is my assumption that the superpositioning principle can be used false? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your use of superposition is perfectly correct (although I didn't check your arithmetic). One error is in the sign of the work done: The work done equals the change in energy, in this case W = ΔU (not -ΔU).

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much Doc, you've saved the day once more! I just have one more question left that I'm struggling with but I'm gonna try it some more. If I need help, I'll start a new thread to make everything more organized.

Thank you once again Doc!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook