How one can deduce the existence of antiparticles

In summary, the conversation discusses the Klein-Gordon equation and how it can be used to deduce the existence of antiparticles. The general solution of the equation is a linear superposition of two fundamental solutions, one with a plus sign and one with a minus sign. The minus sign is usually interpreted as corresponding to negative energy, but it can also be interpreted as moving backwards in time. This leads to a discussion of different conventions for time dependence and the interpretation of the sign in the expansion coefficient.
tommy01
Hi together ...

I wonder how one can deduce the existence of antiparticles from the Klein-Gordon equation.
Starting from [tex](\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} - \nabla^2 + m^2) \Psi(t,\vec{x})=0[/tex]

one gets solutions [tex]\Psi(t,\vec{x})=\exp(\pm i (- E t + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}))[/tex] leading to [tex]E^2=p^2 + m^2 [/tex]. You need the plus/minus in the exponential to get a complete system of solution functions but why you can't just ignore the negative root of the enegry-momentum relation and why you interpret the exp(- ...) as negative momentum and negative energy? why you can't just say the energy is always positive but the functional dependence is exp(+ ...) respectively exp(- ...)?

thanks and merry christmas.

Physics news on Phys.org

Since anti-particles have been found experimentally, what is the point of your assertion?

tommy01 said:
I wonder how one can deduce the existence of antiparticles from the Klein-Gordon equation.

that was my point ...

I know that they have been found experimentally. But it is always quoted as a great triumph of theoretical physics that antiparticles were predicted on grounds of the Klein-Gordon equation or the Dirac-Equation respectively.

The general solution of the KGE is:

[tex]
\Psi(t, \vec{x}) = \int{\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3} 2 \omega} \left[a(\vec{k}) \exp\left(\iota (\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x} - \omega t)\right) + a^{\dagger}(-\vec{k}) \exp\left(\iota (\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x} + \omega t)\right)\right] }, \; \omega = +c \sqrt{k^{2} + \left(\frac{m c}{\hbar}\right)^{2}}
[/tex]

If we interpret [itex]\Psi(t, \vec{x}) = \Psi^{\dagger}(t, \vec{x})[/itex] as a field operator creating an excitation of the real scalar field at the space-time point [itex](t, \vec{x})[/itex], then [itex]a(\vec{k})[/itex] creates a particle with momentum [itex]\hbar \vec{k}[/itex] and energy [itex]\hbar \omega[/itex], while [itex]a^{\dagger}(-\vec{k})[/itex] creates an antiparticle with the same energy and momentum.

Thanks. Thats a linear superposition of the fundamental solutions i cited above, but as you wrote [tex]\omega[/tex] and thefore the energy is positive and there is no need for negative energy states called antiparticles. Or did i misunderstand something?

edit:
Back when they dealt with the Klein-Gordon equation. They didn't quantise the field, so there is no interpretation in terms of creation and annihilation operators.

notice the sign in front of t in both of the exponentials.

yes, but as i mentioned earlier, why does this sign carry over to the energy? why don't say the energy is positive but the functional dependence, to get linearly independent solutions, is exp(- ...) respectively exp(+ ...)?
thanks for your help and please excuse my problems understanding that point.

As far as I know, according to a fundamental paper by Feynman, antiparticles can be regarded as particles with positive energy, but moving backwards in time.

thank you. i also heard this statement, but it's the same story i think. only this time the sign is carried over to the paramter t instead of the energy.

i'll try to make my point clear:
although the solutions are
[tex]
\Psi(t,\vec{x})=\exp(\pm i (- E t + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}))
[/tex]
you don't say the energy can take on imaginary values only because there is an [tex]i[/tex] in the exponential. it's simply part of the solution function. so why is a minus sign treated differently?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are trying to say.

my point is:

you say that there are negative energy solutions because, as you showed, the general solution bears a plus AND a minus sign in the exponent. but it seems to me it would be the same to say the energy can be imaginary because there is an [tex]i[/tex] in the exponent. i simply don't get the point why you have to interpret the minus sign as part of the energy expression and not just as a part of the functional dependece of the solution like the [tex]i[/tex].

greetings.

IF you have a time dependence like this:

[tex]
\exp{(-i \, \omega \, t)}
[/tex]

then [itex]\hbar \omega[/itex] is the energy associated with such propagating perturbation.

O.k. so everything in the exponent multiplied by t except the [tex]-i[/tex] is the frequency [tex]\omega[/tex]. As [tex]E=\hbar \omega[/tex] the negative energy comes from the negative frequency. Mhh i think i probably got it although there are many cases i remember where the time dependence was [tex]\exp(i \omega t) [/tex] and no one thought of a negative energy.
nonetheless thanks for your patience and help.

In Physics, the convention is to use [itex]\exp{(-i \omega t)}[/itex] as time dependence. In Electrical Engineering, it usually is [itex]\exp(2 \pi j f t)[/itex] (they use j as the imaginary unit). Regardless of the convention, there are two terms in the expression - one with a plus sign and one with a minus sign. One of them must correspond to negative frequency. However, notice that the sign in the expansion coefficient [itex]a^{\dagger}(-\vec{k})[/itex] is also reversed. Thus, instead of interpreting this as negative energy, people interpreted it as moving backwards in time.

1. What are antiparticles?

Antiparticles are subatomic particles that have the same mass and spin as their corresponding particles, but have opposite electric charge and other quantum numbers.

2. How does one deduce the existence of antiparticles?

The existence of antiparticles was first predicted by theoretical physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s. He developed a mathematical equation, now known as the Dirac equation, that described the behavior of electrons. The equation also predicted the existence of a new type of particle with the same mass as an electron, but with opposite charge. This led to the discovery of the positron, the antiparticle of the electron, in 1932.

3. How are antiparticles created?

Antiparticles can be created in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to high energies and then collided with other particles. This process can produce both particles and antiparticles in equal amounts. Antiparticles can also be created naturally in high-energy events, such as supernovas or cosmic ray collisions.

4. How do we know that antiparticles exist?

The existence of antiparticles has been confirmed through various experiments, such as the observation of the positron and other antiparticles in particle accelerators. The behavior of antiparticles has also been studied and found to be consistent with the predictions of quantum mechanics.

5. What is the significance of antiparticles?

Antiparticles play a crucial role in our understanding of particle physics and the structure of the universe. They help explain the symmetry between matter and antimatter, and their interactions can shed light on the fundamental forces that govern our universe. Antiparticles also have practical applications in medical imaging and cancer treatment.