1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

How reliable are tree rings for climate modeling?

1. I won't say who said it, but does this sound right to you? Dendrochronolgists on TV all say it so easy, you count the tree rings and the space in between, and that will tell you about the temperature and precipitation and how long the tree lived.
    Also:
    This sounds kind of dumb, but what about carbon dating? We assume the ambient carbon (or something like that) stayed the same the whole time. But didn't it change? What about between mass extinctions?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. I don't see how tree rings can be reliable.

Various factors go into a tree's growth pattern. Fertilization, sunlight, precipitation, temperature, and probably others I haven't considered. All of which can vary in different ways over the years.

I frankly think they are fooling themselves when they say they can extract accurate temperature data from the ring width or density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?