Writing a Report on Non-Academic Background in Physics/Astronomy

In summary, when writing a report about your non-academic background in physics or astronomy for an application, focus on the skills and knowledge you have gained outside of a formal educational setting and use examples to demonstrate your key generic skills.
Esanaei
Hi,
Last semester, an Australian university from which I've earned my Graduate Certificate degree in astronomy asked me to fill an application form for “key generic skills” (equivalent to an undergraduate degree in physics or astronomy) in order to become eligible (if accepted) for pursuing my studies in university's Masters program in astronomy. I have no undergraduate degree in either physics or astronomy, but I have a 1-year period to fill this application form before earning my Graduate Diploma degree.
Can anyone make it clear for me that how should I write up a report about my non-academic background in physics or astronomy in a manner which reflects my "Key Generic Skills"?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
! When writing a report about your non-academic background in physics or astronomy, focus on the skills and knowledge you have acquired outside of a formal educational setting. Examples of these skills include: problem-solving, data analysis, research, and communication. Additionally, discuss any hobbies or activities that have given you an opportunity to further develop your skills in physics or astronomy. For example, if you are an avid stargazer, explain how this has given you an understanding of the cosmos or if you volunteer at a local observatory, explain how this has enabled you to gain valuable hands-on experience. Finally, be sure to emphasize any relevant experience that can be used to demonstrate your key generic skills.

What is the purpose of writing a report on non-academic background in physics/astronomy?

The purpose of writing a report on non-academic background in physics/astronomy is to provide a comprehensive overview of your experiences and achievements outside of academia that have contributed to your understanding and interest in the field. This can include internships, research projects, competitions, or any other relevant experiences.

What should be included in a report on non-academic background in physics/astronomy?

A report on non-academic background in physics/astronomy should include a brief introduction to your personal and educational background, followed by a detailed description of your non-academic experiences related to the field. This may include specific skills or knowledge gained, challenges faced, and how these experiences have influenced your interest in physics/astronomy.

How can I organize my report on non-academic background in physics/astronomy?

One way to organize your report is to use a chronological approach, starting with your earliest experiences and progressing to the most recent ones. You can also consider organizing your report thematically, grouping similar experiences together to showcase your skills and interests in different areas within physics/astronomy.

What is the importance of including non-academic experiences in a report on physics/astronomy?

Including non-academic experiences in your report can demonstrate your passion and dedication to the field beyond traditional academic achievements. It can also showcase your ability to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world problems and your potential for future success in the field.

Are there any tips for writing a successful report on non-academic background in physics/astronomy?

Some tips for writing a successful report include being specific and providing concrete examples, highlighting your unique experiences and skills, and using clear and concise language. It is also important to proofread your report for any errors and to tailor it to the specific audience or purpose for which it is being written.