How to add memory to board camera

In summary, the speaker is looking to add video storage capability to a small board camera and is wondering how much this would increase its size and cost. The feasibility of this depends on whether the camera has a standardized memory interface, such as USB or firewire, or if it can be reverse engineered. The speaker suggests looking into an embedded computer or a tiny SD/USB device for storage options.
m718
hello,

I have a small 2x2cm board camera that I want to add video storage capability (about 10 seconds of video at VGA resolution). How much would this increase the size of the camera? and approximately how much would it cost.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends... Does this camera have a standardized memory interface? Or at least one that's documented or easily reversed engineered? If not, you may be S.O.L. If this has a USB or firewire interface, and you know some Linux, you may want to take a look at a Gumstix embedded computer (or a nano-ITX, or whatever). If it's got a USB interface that you can plug a USB stick into, you may want to get one of those really tiny SD/USB dealies.

I would suggest exploring the possibility of using a microSD card to add memory to your board camera. This would allow for easy storage and transfer of video data. The size increase would depend on the size of the microSD card, but it should not significantly impact the overall size of the camera. As for cost, microSD cards are relatively inexpensive and can range from a few dollars to around $20 depending on the storage capacity. Additionally, you may need to consider the cost of any necessary adapters or connectors. I recommend researching different microSD options and considering the specific requirements and limitations of your board camera before making a decision.

1. How much memory can I add to a board camera?

The amount of memory that can be added to a board camera depends on the specific model and its capabilities. Some board cameras may have a limit of 32GB while others can support up to 128GB. It is important to check the specifications of the camera before attempting to add memory.

2. What type of memory is compatible with a board camera?

Board cameras typically use microSD cards for added memory. It is important to check the specifications of the camera to ensure compatibility with the specific type and class of microSD card.

3. How do I physically add memory to a board camera?

The process of adding memory to a board camera can vary depending on the model. In most cases, the memory card slot is located on the side or back of the camera. Simply insert the microSD card into the slot and make sure it is securely in place.

4. Will adding memory to a board camera affect its performance?

No, adding memory to a board camera should not affect its performance. However, it is important to note that using a low-quality or incompatible memory card may result in slower performance or data corruption.

5. Can I remove the added memory from a board camera?

Yes, the added memory can be removed from a board camera at any time. Simply power off the camera, carefully remove the memory card, and store it in a safe place. It is important to properly eject the memory card before removing it to avoid data loss or corruption.