1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to amplify voltage to meet the needs of a photodiode/APD

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to be able to run two photodiodes that require a bias voltage of at least 40V (this might need to be a little bigger, as I'm planning on using them for scintillation detection). They need to be able to run for two hours off of a lightweight battery. This is because they will be on a weather balloon for a long ride (this is my senior seminar project) and the weight of the payload can't be too high.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking of using a series of op amps, but I'm concerned that simply using op amps to increase the output voltage of (for example) a 9V battery will drain the battery too quickly. A link to the specific photodiodes I'm using is http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/First-Sensor/PS10-5B-TO52S13/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt9rZLnhhqRzxxh2B7IPT45 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The data sheet for that photodiode (at the site you reference) shows that 40V is the peak reverse voltage for that part. Are you sure you want to exceed that?

A brief web search on photodiode circuit examples turned up something that might be of interest here. Check out items 9 and 10.

For an opamp to produce a 40 V output its power source must already be equal to or greater than 40 V unless you're doing something with current pumps (voltage doublers or triplers).

4. Jan 31, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your photodiode is specified to work at 3.5V reverse voltage with a bit better bandwidth at 20V. Most probably works fine at 3.5V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted