How to amplify voltage to meet the needs of a photodiode/APD

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robert Dietrich
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Voltage
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Robert Dietrich
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to be able to run two photodiodes that require a bias voltage of at least 40V (this might need to be a little bigger, as I'm planning on using them for scintillation detection). They need to be able to run for two hours off of a lightweight battery. This is because they will be on a weather balloon for a long ride (this is my senior seminar project) and the weight of the payload can't be too high.

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution


I was thinking of using a series of op amps, but I'm concerned that simply using op amps to increase the output voltage of (for example) a 9V battery will drain the battery too quickly. A link to the specific photodiodes I'm using is http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/First-Sensor/PS10-5B-TO52S13/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt9rZLnhhqRzxxh2B7IPT45
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The data sheet for that photodiode (at the site you reference) shows that 40V is the peak reverse voltage for that part. Are you sure you want to exceed that?

A brief web search on photodiode circuit examples turned up something that might be of interest here. Check out items 9 and 10.

For an opamp to produce a 40 V output its power source must already be equal to or greater than 40 V unless you're doing something with current pumps (voltage doublers or triplers).