How to apply the fundamental theorem to partial derivatives?

In summary, to find the derivative of ##F(x)=\int_{0}^{x^2} \sqrt{t^4+x^3}dt##, we can use the fact that ##F(x)=\int_a^b g(t,x)dt## and the Chain Rule. By letting ##u=x^2## and ##v=x##, we can calculate ##\frac{dF}{dx}## as ##\frac{dF}{dx}=\int_{0}^{x^2} \frac{3x^2}{2\sqrt{t^4+x^3}}+2x\sqrt{x^8+x^3}##.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Under mild continuity restrictions, it is true that if ##F(x)=\int_a^b g(t,x)dt##,

then ##F'(x)=\int_a^b g_x(t,x)dt##.

Using this fact and the Chain Rule, we can find the derivative of

##F(x)=\int_{a}^{f(x)} g(t,x)dt##

by letting

##G(u,x)=\int_a^u g(t,x)dt##,

where ##u=f(x)##."

Given:

##F(x)=\int_{0}^{x^2} \sqrt{t^4+x^3}dt##,

find ##\frac{dF}{dx}##.

Homework Equations

##\frac{dF}{dx}=\frac{dF}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}+\frac{dF}{du}\frac{du}{dx}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{dF}{du}=\frac{d}{du} \int_{0}^{x^2}\sqrt{t^4+x^3}dt=\sqrt{(x^2)^4+x^3}=\sqrt{x^8+x^3}##
##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}(x^2)=2x## by letting ##u=x^2##

##\frac{dF}{dt}=F'(t)=\int_{0}^{x^2} g_x(t^4+x^3)dt=\int_{0}^{x^2} \frac{3x^2}{2\sqrt{t^4+x^3}}##

I know that: ##\frac{dF}{dx}=2x\sqrt{x^8+x^3}+\int_{0}^{x^2} \frac{3x^2}{2\sqrt{t^4+x^3}}\frac{dt}{dx}##

But, I'm at a loss at how to calculate: ##\frac{dt}{dx}##, because I don't know how to define ##t##, so I don't know how to differentiate it with respect to ##x##.

Physics news on Phys.org
in short the way you doing it is t=x but you can't replace that inside the integral. In short the result is
$$2x\sqrt{x^8+x^3}+\int_{0}^{x^2}\frac{3x^2}{2\sqrt{t^4+x3}}dt$$.

However in order to be more accurate, we have to define ##F(x)=G(u(x),x)## with ##G(u,v)=\int_0^{u}\sqrt{t^4+v^3}dt## therefore

$$\frac{dF}{dx}=\frac{\partial G}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial G}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}$$.

with ##u(x)=x^2## ##v(x)=x##.

Calculating the above expression you ll get the result.

Delta² said:
##v(x)=x##

So ##\frac{∂G}{∂v}\frac{∂v}{dx}## corresponds to ##\int_{0}^{x^2} \frac{3x^2}{2\sqrt{t^4+x^3}}## and ##\frac{∂G}{∂u}\frac{∂u}{∂x}## corresponds to ##2x\sqrt{x^8+x^3}##? And ##v'(x)=1##, so it's just ##\int_{0}^{x^2} \frac{3x^2}{2\sqrt{t^4+x^3}}+2x\sqrt{x^8+x^3}##. I guess that makes sense; I mean, I just need to perform the proper substitutions and such. Anyway, thank you for your help, Delta.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the fundamental theorem of partial derivatives?

The fundamental theorem of partial derivatives states that if a function has continuous partial derivatives in a region, then the order of differentiation does not matter and the mixed partial derivatives are equal.

2. How do I apply the fundamental theorem to partial derivatives?

To apply the fundamental theorem to partial derivatives, you first need to ensure that the function has continuous partial derivatives in the region of interest. Then, you can simply take the partial derivatives in any order and compare the results to see if they are equal.

3. What is the significance of the fundamental theorem of partial derivatives?

The fundamental theorem of partial derivatives is significant because it simplifies the process of finding mixed partial derivatives by showing that the order of differentiation does not matter. This makes it easier to solve complex problems involving partial derivatives.

4. Can the fundamental theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the fundamental theorem of partial derivatives can only be applied to functions that have continuous partial derivatives in the region of interest. If the function does not meet this criteria, the theorem cannot be used.

5. Are there any limitations to the fundamental theorem of partial derivatives?

One limitation of the fundamental theorem is that it only applies to functions with continuous partial derivatives. Additionally, it does not provide a direct method for finding the value of the mixed partial derivatives, it only shows that they are equal. Other methods may be needed to actually find the value of the mixed partial derivatives.