How to calculat fronatl area of scale car

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the aerodynamic coefficient of cars in a wind tunnel. The main concern is determining the frontal area of the car, with suggestions including using a digital camera to take measurements and using a calculator for drag and lift coefficients. The use of a photograph and specific dimensions is recommended to accurately calculate the area, while also taking into account perspective.
arriluk97
Hello guys, I am doing a wind tunnel and I want to calculate the aerodynamic coefficient of some cars. To calculate this I need the frontal area of the car and I don't know how to calculate it manual. Is there any pc program to do it or any formula? Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you don't have a drawing or a photograph of the front end of the test car, it's going to be a pretty difficult calculation.

You can always measure the height and width of of the test car, calculate the area of the box, and apply a factor to account for the shape
of the car, the open bits underneath, etc.

SteamKing said:
If you don't have a drawing or a photograph of the front end of the test car, it's going to be a pretty difficult calculation.
I will assume that everyone has a digital camera these days, You could put the model car in front of a wall with dimensions marked and take a picture. Print the picture and cut out the car outline. Compare the weight of the car cut out with the weight of a known area cut out.

FactChecker said:
I will assume that everyone has a digital camera these days, You could put the model car in front of a wall with dimensions marked and take a picture. Print the picture and cut out the car outline. Compare the weight of the car cut out with the weight of a known area cut out.

As long as your dimensions marked on the wall were suitably adjusted to account for perspective that would work.

Likes FactChecker
boneh3ad said:
As long as your dimensions marked on the wall were suitably adjusted to account for perspective that would work.
I think if the model car is against the wall and the camera is back a little. the effect of perspective will be minimal.

1. What is frontal area?

Frontal area is the total surface area of an object that is directly facing the oncoming air or fluid. In the case of a scale car, it refers to the area of the front of the car that is facing the direction of motion.

2. Why is it important to calculate frontal area?

Frontal area is an important factor in determining the aerodynamic drag force on an object. It can affect the performance and efficiency of a car, especially at high speeds. Therefore, calculating the frontal area can help in designing and optimizing the aerodynamics of a scale car.

3. How do I measure the frontal area of a scale car?

The frontal area can be measured by taking the dimensions of the front of the car, including the width and height, and multiplying them together to get the total area. Alternatively, you can use a measuring tool such as a caliper or ruler to directly measure the frontal area.

4. What units are used to measure frontal area?

The frontal area is typically measured in square units, such as square inches or square centimeters. Make sure to use consistent units for accurate calculations.

5. Are there any online tools or formulas for calculating frontal area?

Yes, there are several online calculators and formulas available for calculating frontal area. These tools take into account the shape and dimensions of the object to provide accurate results. However, it is also possible to calculate the frontal area manually using basic geometry formulas.