How to calculat fronatl area of scale car

  • Topic: Automotive 
  • Thread starter Thread starter arriluk97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Car Scale
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
arriluk97
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hello guys, I am doing a wind tunnel and I want to calculate the aerodynamic coefficient of some cars. To calculate this I need the frontal area of the car and I don't know how to calculate it manual. Is there any pc program to do it or any formula? Thank you very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't have a drawing or a photograph of the front end of the test car, it's going to be a pretty difficult calculation.

You can always measure the height and width of of the test car, calculate the area of the box, and apply a factor to account for the shape
of the car, the open bits underneath, etc.
 
SteamKing said:
If you don't have a drawing or a photograph of the front end of the test car, it's going to be a pretty difficult calculation.
I will assume that everyone has a digital camera these days, You could put the model car in front of a wall with dimensions marked and take a picture. Print the picture and cut out the car outline. Compare the weight of the car cut out with the weight of a known area cut out.
 
FactChecker said:
I will assume that everyone has a digital camera these days, You could put the model car in front of a wall with dimensions marked and take a picture. Print the picture and cut out the car outline. Compare the weight of the car cut out with the weight of a known area cut out.

As long as your dimensions marked on the wall were suitably adjusted to account for perspective that would work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker
boneh3ad said:
As long as your dimensions marked on the wall were suitably adjusted to account for perspective that would work.
I think if the model car is against the wall and the camera is back a little. the effect of perspective will be minimal.