How to Calculate change in volume produced by a piston?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 5K views
spacealgae said:
Awesome! Thank you very much! So now that's all figured out how would I multiply that by the atmospheric pressure, 0.25 A t m? Would I convert the A t m to scientific notation and then multiply?
It's a little more involved than that.

First, what are the units of work?

BTW, the unit 'atmosphere' is abbreviated 'atm.', not 'a t m'.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that units of work are in Joules. And sorry, I know it's 'atm', not 'a t m', but that's just how my homework had it, so I thought I just would just keep it like that. An error in my homework grammar, I guess.
 
spacealgae said:
I believe that units of work are in Joules.

Yes. But joules are known as derived units in SI, which means they are made up of other fundamental units. What are the fundamental units which make up a joule?
 
spacealgae said:
So, once I convert 1700nm to meters, that would be 1.7x10^-6.
Again, you're omitting the units in your answer. 1.7 x 10-6 in what units?

When you're working problems in physics, it's very important to keep track of the units.
 
spacealgae said:
Area of piston=1x10^-16m^2
Can someone convince me that an exercise with such a "piston" is for real ?

:rolleyes: